This blog post is a summary of the webinar Percona Software News and Roadmap Update – Q3 2016 given by Peter Zaitsev on September 28th, 2016.
Over the last few months, I’ve had the opportunity to meet and talk with many of Percona’s customers. I love these meetings, and I always get a bunch of questions about what we’re doing, what our plans are and what releases are coming.
I’m pleased to say there is a great deal going on at Percona, and I thought giving a quick talk about our current software and services, along with our future plans, would provide a simple reference for many of these questions.
A full recording of this webinar, along with the presentation slide deck, can be found here.
Percona Solutions and Services
Let me start by laying out Percona’s company purpose:
To champion unbiased open source database solutions.
What does this mean? It means that we write software to offer you better solutions, and we use the best of what software and technology exists in the open source community.
Percona stands by a set of principles that we feel define us as a company, and are a promise to our customers:
- 100% free and open source software
- Focused on finding solution to maximize your success
- Open source database strategy consulting and implementation
- No vendor lock-in required
We offer trusted and unbiased expert solutions, support and resource in a broad software ecosystem, including:
- Percona Server
- Percona XtraDB Cluster
- Galera Cluster for MySQL
- MariaDB Galera Cluster
- Percona Server for MongoDB
- Amazon RDS for MySQL/MariaDB/Aurora
- Google CloudSQL
We also have specialization options for PAAS, IAAS, and SAAS solutions like Amazon Web Services, OpenStack, Google Cloud Platform, OpenShift, Ceph, Docker and Kubernetes.
The next few sections detail our current service offerings, with some outlook on our future plans.
Consulting and Training. Our consulting and training services are available to assist you with whatever project or staff needs you have.
- Onsite and remote
- 4 hours to full time (weeks or months)
- Project and staff augmentation
Moved from Eventum to Zendesk. In order to better and more simply serve and address our customers’ needs, we recently moved from Eventum to Zendesk for reporting issues and requesting services. You can reach our support site here. So far it seems to be working well, and is providing:
- A better experience for customers
- Better responsiveness from our staff
- Better measurements of customer experience
Advanced HA Included with Enterprise and Premier Support. Starting this past Spring, we included advance high availability (HA) support as part of our Enterprise and Premier support tiers. This advanced support includes coverage for:
- Percona XtraDB Cluster
- MariaDB Galera Cluster
- Galera Cluster for MySQL
- Upcoming MySQL group replication
- Upcoming MySQL Innodb Cluster
Enterprise Wide Support Agreements. Our new Enterprise Wide Support option allows you to buy per-environment support coverage that covers all of the servers in your environment, rather than on a per-server basis. This method of support can save you money because it:
- Covers both “MySQL” and “MongoDB”
- Means you don’t have to count servers
- Provides highly customized coverage
Simplified Support Pricing. Get easy to understand support pricing quickly.
To discuss how Percona Support can help your business, please call us at +1-888-316-9775 (USA),
+44 203 608 6727 (Europe), or have us contact you.
Below are the latest and upcoming features in Percona’s software. All of Percona’s software adheres to the following principles:
- 100% free and open source
- No restricted “Enterprise” version
- No “open core”
- No BS-licensing (BSL)
- 100% Compatible with MySQL 5.7 Community Edition
- 100% Free and Open Source
- Includes Alternatives to Many MySQL Enterprise Features
- Includes TokuDB Storage Engine
- Focus on Performance and Operational Visibility
- Parallel Doublewrite http://bit.ly/2dpRbfr
- Multi-threaded LRU flushing http://bit.ly/2cTOG3H
- Improved filtering for audit log plugin http://bit.ly/2dB56lD
- Improved space allocation for TokuDB http://bit.ly/2ddVsTO
Features about to be Released Column level compression (thanks Pinterest!)
- Database based file layout for TokuDB
- Integration of TokuDB and Performance Schema
- #1 open source binary hot backup solution for MySQL
- Alternative to MySQL Enterprise backup
- Parallel backups, incremental backups, streaming, encryption
- Supports MySQL, MariaDB, Percona Server
- MySQL 5.7 and Percona Server 5.7 Support
- Support for Innodb Tablespace Encryption
- “Swiss Army Knife” of tools
- Helps DBAs be more efficient
- Helps DBAs make fewer mistakes
- Supports MySQL, MariaDB, Percona Server, Amazon RDS MySQL
- Support for New MySQL, Percona Server and MariaDB versions
- Working on making tools even safer to use
- 100% compatible with MongoDB 3.2 Community Edition
- 100% open source
- Alternatives for many MongoDB Enterprise features
- MongoRocks (RocksDB) storage engine
- Percona Memory Engine
- Percona Server for MongoDB 3.2 – GA
- Support for MongoRocks storage engine
- PerconaFT storage engine depreciated
- Implemented Percona Memory Engine
Percona Memory Engine for MongoDB® is a 100 percent open source in-memory storage engine for Percona Server for MongoDB.
Based on the in-memory storage engine used in MongoDB Enterprise Edition, WiredTiger, Percona Memory Engine for MongoDB delivers extremely high performance and reduced costs for a variety of use cases, including application cache, sophisticated data manipulation, session management and more.
Below are some benchmarks that we ran to demonstrate Percona Memory Engine’s performance.
- Based on Percona Server 5.7
- Easiest way to bring HA in your MySQL environment
- Designed to work well in the cloud
- Multi-master replication with no conflicts
- Automatic node provisioning for auto scaling and self-healing
- Available now
- Brought PXC development in-house to server our customers better
- Provide complete clustering solution, not set of LEGO pieces
- Improve usability and ease of use
- Focus on quality
- Integrated cluster-aware load balancer with ProxySQL
- Instrumentation with Performance Schema
- Support for data at rest encryption (InnoDB tablespace encryption)
- Your data is safe by default with “strict mode” – prevents using features that do not work correctly
- Integration with Percona Monitoring and Management (PMM)
- Comprehensive database-focused monitoring
- 100% open source, roll-your-own solution
- Easy to install and use
- Supports MySQL and MongoDB
- Version 1.0 focuses on trending and query analyses
- Management features to come
Check out the Demo
Percona Live Europe is right around the corner!
The Percona Live Open Source Database Conference is the premier event for the diverse and active open source database community, as well as businesses that develop and use open source database software. The conferences have a technical focus with an emphasis on the core topics of MySQL, MongoDB, PostgreSQL and other open source databases. Tackling subjects such as analytics, architecture and design, security, operations, scalability and performance, Percona Live provides in-depth discussions for your high-availability, IoT, cloud, big data and other changing business needs. This conference is an opportunity to network with peers and technology professionals by bringing together accomplished DBA’s, system architects and developers from around the world to share their knowledge and experience – all to help you learn how to tackle your open source database challenges in a whole new way
This conference has something for everyone!
- October 3-5
- In Amsterdam
- MySQL, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, other Open Source Databases
Percona Live Europe 2016 is part of Amsterdam eWeek. Amsterdam eWeek provides a platform for national and international companies that focus on online marketing, media and technology and for business managers and entrepreneurs who use them, whether it comes to retail, healthcare, finance, game industry or media. Check it out!