We regularly benchmark Percona Server to help identify performance bottlenecks and validate the results of changes to software. We design ethical, apples-to-apples benchmarks that are as relevant as possible to real-world use cases.
MySQL® 5.6.14 versus Percona Server 5.6.13
October 2013 Vadim Tkachenko benchmarked MySQL 5.6.14 against Percona Server 5.6.13 using a sysbench OLTP read-write workload with pareto distribution. The dataset used for the tests is 32 tables, 10mln rows each, which totals about ~77GB of data. Our interest is in testing intensive IO-bound workload, so the buffer_pool size is 25GB and we ran the load in 250 user threads.
- Percona Server is significantly more stable than MySQL in maintaining high throughput after 4 minutes of load and beyond
- Percona Server delivers low latency and more consistency than MySQL after 4 minutes of load and beyond
MySQL 5.5.8 versus Percona Server 5.5.7
December 2010 Vadim Tkachenko benchmarked MySQL 5.5.8, the newest high-performance release from Oracle, against Percona Server 5.5.7 beta in an OLTP workload similar to TPC-C.
- Percona Server is more than 40% faster than MySQL in overall throughput
- Percona Server performance remains more stable over time than MySQL, which still experiences sharp drops in throughput due to checkpointing activity
MySQL 5.1.42 with InnoDB, InnoDB Plugin, and XtraDB on FusionIO
January 2010 Vadim Tkachenko benchmarked the standard InnoDB that ships with MySQL 5.1, the newer InnoDB Plugin, and XtraDB in a workload similar to TPC-C on fast FusionIO storage devices.
- Standard InnoDB achieves 9.4k new-order transactions per minute, InnoDB plugin reaches 15.3k, and XtraDB reaches 26.1k. On this benchmark, XtraDB is up to 275% faster than InnoDB
- There is still heavy mutex contention, and much more improvement is possible even in XtraDB
How Percona Can Help
Percona Consulting can help you determine if Percona Server is the right solution for your company and if it is, help deploy Percona Server, while ensuring optimal performance. Percona Support can ensure your deployment runs as expected and help you in a crisis. If you lack the resources to manage your deployment, our Managed Services team can take over the full operation of your database.
To discuss how Percona can help you make your Percona Server deployment a success, please call us at +1-888-316-9775 (USA), +44-208-133-0309 (Europe), or have us contact you.