This webinar starts with a list of solutions that are built-in to PostgreSQL to help us upgrade a legacy version of PostgreSQL with minimal downtime. The advantages of choosing such methods will also be discussed. You will notice a list of prerequisites for each solution, reducing the scope of possible mistakes. It's important to minimize downtime when upgrading from an older version of PostgreSQL server. Therefore, we will present 3 open source solutions that will help us either minimize or completely avoid downtime.
Additionally, we will be publishing a series of 5 blog posts that will help us understand the solutions available to perform a PostgreSQL upgrade. Our presentation will show the full process of upgrading a set of PostgreSQL servers to the latest available version. Furthermore, we'll show the pros and cons for each of the methods we employed.
Topics covered in this webinar include:
1. PostgreSQL upgrade using pg_dump/pg_restore (with downtime)
2. PostgreSQL upgrade using pg_dumpall (with downtime)
3. Continuous replication from a legacy PostgreSQL version to a newer version using Slony.
4. Replication between major PostgreSQL versions using Logical Replication
5. Fast upgrade of legacy PostgreSQL with minimum downtime.
We will walk you through the methods for 45 mins and demonstrate a few of the methods that you may find useful in your database environment. We will witness how simple and quick it is to perform the upgrade using these methods.