In this presentation, we'll cover the following areas:
- MySQL architecture and application eco system in Venmo
- Scalability challenges of MySQL for Venmo applications for Super Bowl peak traffic
- Short term scalability improvements for peak traffic, including horizontal and vertical scalability approaches.
- Long term directions to scale MySQL databases, including domain isolation, data sharding, and adapting MySQL database to support micro service applications.
- Case studies of MySQL performance tuning. Examples would include modifying application logic to eliminate database queries and working around optimizer bugs to handle multiple-table joins with order by limit clauses.