This is the first part of a two-part tutorial session, morning and afternoon.
* This tutorial is focused on teaching PostgreSQL to professionals who are already experienced with Oracle or MySQL. As we discuss from the basics, even a beginner may adapt the concepts easily. Relational databases share a lot of similar concepts. You may find it easier if we help you relate the concepts of PostgreSQL with Oracle/MySQL. Thus, we will start with PostgreSQL Architecture for Oracle/MySQL DBAs.
* The approach we take with this tutorial is to present an overview of the PostgreSQL architecture and operation in view of MySQL's and Oracle's. We'll mix lecture with hands-on work, having the audience apply the concepts we present in practice in a lab format before covering new ones, starting with a simple and quick installation of PostgreSQL and going all the way to set up and maintain a stand by replica. By the end of the day, attendees shall walk away with a good understanding of how PostgreSQL works, and feel confident enough to try it themselves.
Here are the main points covered in this tutorial :
* Brief history of PostgreSQL and its features
* PostgreSQL Architecture for MySQL/Oracle DBAs and beginners.
* Installation of PostgreSQL
* Create/Start/Stop a PostgreSQL Cluster and the components of a Data Directory
* PostgreSQL parameters/settings you need to know
* PostgreSQL User Management
* MVCC in PostgreSQL
* VACUUM and Transaction ID Wraparound in PostgreSQL
* Types of Indexes
* EXPLAIN in PostgreSQL
* Logical and Physical Backups and PITR
* Streaming replication
* Declarative Partitioning in PostgreSQL 10 and furthermore features in PostgreSQL 11.
* Avinash Vallarapu (Avi) is currently working for Percona as a PostgreSQL Support Tech Lead. Before joining Percona, he worked for OpenSCG for 2.2 years as a Database Architect and for Dell as a Tech Lead for 9.8 Years. He has a vast experience in technologies like Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL and MongoDB. He is an avid Python and Golang developer. He has co-authored a book on PostgreSQL : Beginning PostgreSQL on Cloud and another book on MySQL is in progress.
* He spoke at various PostgreSQL Conferences in the past including -
* PGCONF India - 2017 - Bengaluru, India.
* PGCON 2018 - Ottawa, Canada.
* Percona Live - PostgreSQL Track (2018) - Frankfurt, Germany.
* PGCONF India - 2019 - Bengaluru, India.
* His areas of expertise are PostgreSQL Training, Consulting and Migrations.