Percona is happy to announce the first experimental binary of Percona XtraDB Cluster 8.0 on October 1, 2019. This is a major step for tuning Percona XtraDB Cluster to be more cloud- and user-friendly. This release combines the updated and feature-rich Galera 4, with substantial improvements made by our development team.
Improvements and New Features
Galera 4, included in Percona XtraDB Cluster 8.0, has many new features. Here is a list of the most essential improvements:
- Streaming replication supports large transactions
- The synchronization functions allow action coordination (wsrep_last_seen_gtid, wsrep_last_written_gtid, wsrep_sync_wait_upto_gtid)
- More granular and improved error logging. wsrep_debug is now a multi-valued variable to assist in controlling the logging, and logging messages have been significantly improved.
- Some DML and DDL errors on a replicating node can either be ignored or suppressed. Use the wsrep_ignore_apply_errors variable to configure.
- Multiple system tables help find out more about the state of the cluster state.
- The wsrep infrastructure of Galera 4 is more robust than that of Galera 3. It features a faster execution of code with better state handling, improved predictability, and error handling.
Percona XtraDB Cluster 8.0 has been reworked in order to improve security and reliability as well as to provide more information about your cluster:
- There is no need to create a backup user or maintain the credentials in plain text (a security flaw). An internal SST user is created, with a random password for making a backup, and this user is discarded immediately once the backup is done.
- Percona XtraDB Cluster 8.0 now automatically launches the upgrade as needed (even for minor releases). This avoids manual intervention and simplifies the operation in the cloud.
- SST (State Snapshot Transfer) rolls back or fixes an unwanted action. It is no more “a copy only block” but a smart operation to make the best use of the copy-phase.
- Additional visibility statistics are introduced in order to obtain more information about Galera internal objects. This enables easy tracking of the state of execution and flow control.
You can only install this release from a tarball and it, therefore, cannot be installed through a package management system, such as apt or yum. Note that this release is not ready for use in any production environment.
Percona XtraDB Cluster 8.0 is based on the following:
- Percona Server for MySQL 8.0.15-5
- Codership WSREP API release 27
- Codership Galera library 4.2
Please be aware that this release will not be supported in the future, and as such, neither the upgrade to this release nor the downgrade from higher versions is supported.
This release is also packaged with Percona XtraBackup 8.0.5. All Percona software is open-source and free.
In order to experiment with Percona XtraDB Cluster 8.0 in your environment, download and unpack the tarball for your platform.
Be sure to check your system and make sure that the packages are installed which Percona XtraDB Cluster 8.0 depends on.
For Debian or Ubuntu:
$ sudo apt-get install -y \
socat libdbd-mysql-perl \
rsync libaio1 libc6 libcurl3 libev4 libgcc1 libgcrypt20 \
libgpg-error0 libssl1.1 libstdc++6 zlib1g libatomic1
For Red Hat Enterprise Linux or CentOS:
$ sudo yum install -y openssl socat \
procps-ng chkconfig procps-ng coreutils shadow-utils \
grep libaio libev libcurl perl-DBD-MySQL perl-Digest-MD5 \
libgcc rsync libstdc++ libgcrypt libgpg-error zlib glibc openssl-libs
Help us improve our software quality by reporting any bugs you encounter using our bug tracking system. As always, thanks for your continued support of Percona!