This Week in Data with Colin Charles 53: It’s MariaDB Week PLUS Percona Live Europe UpdateColin Charles
Join Percona Chief Evangelist Colin Charles as he covers happenings, gives pointers and provides musings on the open source database community.
This week is clearly what I’d call a “MariaDB week” — plenty of announcements coming from MariaDB Corporation and MariaDB Foundation.
It started with Alibaba Cloud and MariaDB Announce the Launch of ApsaraDB RDS for MariaDB TX, which makes Alibaba Cloud the first public cloud to offer the enterprise offering of MariaDB, MariaDB TX 3.0. It is not available yet as of this announcement for rolling out from the interface, but I expect it will be soon. Exciting, as you can already get MariaDB Server on Amazon RDS for MariaDB, and you can join the waitlist preview for Azure.
MariaDB Corporation has received more funding from ServiceNow Ventures in the Series C round, and has gained a new board member in Pat Casey. ServiceNow is a user of MariaDB, and “ServiceNow’s platform runs on up to 85,000 MariaDB databases that serve more than 25 billion queries per hour.” There was an excellent keynote session at M|18 about how ServiceNow uses MariaDB. The Register refers to this as “protecting ServiceNow’s toolchain”.
For good measure, MariaDB acquired Clustrix as well. This is the second acquisition after MammothDB earlier in the year. It is worth reading the TechCrunch take on this. Clustrix, a Y Combinator company, has been around since 2006 and raised $72 million. The price of the acquisition was not announced. For a bit of behind the scenes chatter from ex-employee shareholders, Hacker News delivers.
From a MariaDB Foundation standpoint, we see Otto Kekäläinen, the MariaDB Foundation CEO stepping down. Thanks for all your hard work Otto! And maybe you missed it, but not long ago, Percona Became a Bronze Sponsor of MariaDB Foundation.
Speaking of conferences, the tutorial schedule and a sneak peek of sessions for Percona Live Europe Frankfurt have been announced. In addition, the Call for Papers – 2019 Annual MariaDB User Conference closes October 31, 2018.
- SQLite Release 3.25.1 now comes with enhancements to ALTER TABLE and window functions.
- Percona XtraDB Cluster 5.6.41-28.28
- Percona Server for MongoDB 3.2.21-3.12 and Percona Server for MongoDB 3.6.7-1.5
- MongoDB 4.1.3 is ready for testing and MMAPv1 has been removed. A very apt goodbye, “sometimes a piece of software has served its purpose and it’s time to move on. The original MongoDB storage engine, MMAPv1, was deprecated in 4.0 and will no longer be an option in 4.2.”
- Postgres 11 – a First Look — don’t forget to check out PostgreSQL 11 Beta 4.
- Mark Callaghan on durability debt, defined as “the amount of work that can be done to persist changes that have been applied to a database.“
- Open Source Summit Europe 2018 – 22-24 October 2018
I look forward to feedback/tips via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @bytebot.