MongoDB with Percona TokuMXse – experimental build RC5 is available!

MongoDB with Percona TokuMXse – experimental build RC5 is available!

While our engineering team is working on finalizing the TokuMXse storage engine, I want to provide an experimental build that you can try and test MongoDB 3.0 with our storage engine.

It is available here
percona.com/downloads/TESTING/Percona-TokuMXse-rc5/percona-tokumxse-3.0.3pre-rc5.tar.gz

To start MongoDB with TokuMXse storage engine use:

I am looking for your feedback!

Comments (12)

• Orinal Reply

What’s about TokuMXse? is there any differences between TokuMXse and TokuMX?

May 10, 2015 at 4:39 am
  • Aurimas Mikalauskas Reply

My understanding is that one is a pluggable storage engine for MongoDB 3.0 which, as of now, doesn’t have all the benefits of TokuMX, e.g. I don’t think transactions support is available in MongoDB 3.0 and some performance features may not be there.

Whereas TokuMX is a separate product, drop-in replacement for MongoDB 2.4 that has all of the advantages listed here.

May 11, 2015 at 3:15 am
  • Vlad Reply

One reason why people may prefer TokuMXse to TokuMX is if they are using the Meteor real-time JavaScript web application framework, which depends on the MongoDB Oplog for triggering reactive events.

TokuMX implements a different Oplog format to MongoDB, so Meteor cannot parse it.

I posted about this on the Tokutek blog earlier this month:

May 15, 2015 at 8:13 am
  • Fernando Ipar Reply

In addition to what Aurimas said, TokuMX and MongoDB don’t mix in replication. You can’t have a replica set with MongoDB and TokuMX members.

Now since TokuMXse uses the storage engine API but makes no changes to the server (and regarding replication specifically, no changes to the oplog, which TokuMX does, as Vlad mentions) you can mix it with Wired Tiger or MMAPv1 within a replica set.

May 25, 2015 at 7:13 pm
  • Mohammed Naseer Reply

Vlad, did you manage to test TokuMXse with Meteor?

June 24, 2015 at 9:04 pm
  • Fernando Ipar Reply

@Mohammed:

I did a basic test (testing the ‘Todo’ app from the meteor tutorial) using this version and it worked ok.
    The basic test was to manually insert tasks from the mongo client, and seeing them updated on the app.
    I used the MONGO_URL variable to get meteor to use my mongod instead of its own.

June 26, 2015 at 3:12 pm
  • Mohammed Naseer Reply

@Vlad

I am a newbie trying to figure out how to set up and integrate Meteor with TokuMXse. Do you think it would be possible for you to put together some instructions for me to get the ‘Todo’ app working on my mac please so that I can build further and move forward with these technologies.

June 26, 2015 at 10:36 pm
  • Mohammed Naseer Reply

@Fernando Ipar

June 26, 2015 at 10:38 pm
    • Fernando Ipar Reply

@Mohammed

Absolutely! I should be able to do this during the weekend, and will let you know with a reply on this thread.

Regards,
      Fernando.

June 27, 2015 at 11:32 am
      • Mohammed Naseer Reply

@Fernando Ipar

Thank you so much and I can’t thank you enough and I am hoping that many other people like myself doing a search on this topic will also benefit from your generosity.

June 27, 2015 at 12:33 pm
  • Fernando Ipar Reply

@Mohammed:

Happy to help!
    Here are the instructions: https://gist.github.com/fipar/570d4dbad37c51ad523c

If you hit any problems, feel free to reply to the gist and I’ll do my best to help.
    I put the boot2docker part so that the instructions are useful to get anyone on a mac running with no other dependencies, but if you already have some box/VM running linux and with tokumx installed, you can skip that and point meteor (with the MONGO_URL var) to the right place.

Regards,
    Fernando.

June 27, 2015 at 6:00 pm
    • Mohammed Naseer Reply

@Fernando Ipar

Once again thank you, and I’ll make an attempt at working through your instructions over the week and if I find myself in trouble or have difficulty in understanding something I’ll give you a shout Sir – Many Thanks.

June 27, 2015 at 9:41 pm