Join Percona Chief Evangelist Colin Charles as he covers happenings, gives pointers and provides musings on the open source database community.
Grading is underway for talks at Percona Live Europe 2018. I understand that by next week you will see the tutorial schedule released. As part of the program committee, I have enjoyed reviewing tutorials, and I reckon there is great competition for the schedule. I suggest you register now, and don’t forget to book your accommodation (need a discount?).
A video worth watching: How we Live Migrated Millions of BBM Users & its Infrastructure Across the Pacific (Cloud Next ’18). I was a big Blackberry Messenger (BBM) user in its heyday. They moved from their Canadian data center to Google Cloud. Blackberry used MySQL, migrated Oracle to PostgreSQL, as Oracle isn’t sanctioned to run on Google Cloud Platform. They also moved from MySQL to Google CloudSQL since the databases weren’t critical to running the application. Some cases write to BigQuery and have Tableau query them. They make use of Cassandra native replication. With PostgreSQL, there is master-slave replication: they got users onto the new master and then promoted the master. When they did the master promotion, there was minimal (5-10 minutes) downtime while this process was ongoing. This didn’t impact their key services, messages continued to work, and this was seen as acceptable.
- MariaDB 10.3.9 – InnoDB from 5.7.23, a new variable innodb_log_optimize_ddl for avoiding delay due to page flushing and allowing concurrent backup, and many fixes and improvements around ALTER TABLE too.
- Percona Server for MySQL 5.6.41-84.1 – full-text search index with InnoDB table bug fixed, as well as ensuring queries on a table with CHARSET=euckr COLLATE=euckr_bin always return the same results.
- Percona Server for MySQL 5.5.61-38.13 – bug fixes.
- From an SQL standards standpoint, Markus Winand has a What’s new in MariaDB 10.3: “Over the last two years, even the SQL dialects started to diverge notably. Treating MariaDB as a distinct product is the unavoidable consequence for me.” – meaning MariaDB Server is now distinct as a database in his eyes.
- Comparing Data-At-Rest Encryption Features for MariaDB, MySQL and Percona Server for MySQL
- db tech showcase Tokyo 2018 – 19-21 September 2018
- Open Source Summit Europe 2018 – 22-24 October 2018