Join Percona Chief Evangelist Colin Charles as he covers happenings, gives pointers and provides musings on the open source database community.
Have you registered for Percona Live Europe Dublin? We’ve more or less finalized the schedule, and the conference grid looks 100% full. We’re four weeks away, so I suggest you register ASAP!
I should also mention that no event can be pulled off without sponsors, so thank you sponsors of Percona Live Europe 2017. I sincerely hope to see more sign up. Feel free to ask me more about it, or just check out our sponsor prospectus.
- MariaDB/MySQL Replication Manager 1.1.1 release. There was recently a talk accepted at Percona Live Europe 2017 that referenced “MRM”. I was asked about it, and I think this tool needs more marketing! MRM is a high availability solution to manage MariaDB 10.x and MySQL and Percona Server for MySQL 5.7 GTID replication topologies. It has a new 1.1.1 release that provides improvements for MariaDB Server and MariaDB MaxScale (this tool itself gained MySQL GTID support back in April 2017). Do you use MRM?
- Percona Server 5.7.19-17 is now released! Why is this exciting? Because it comes with the MyRocks storage engine! Yes, the engine is experimental, and no, it isn’t recommended for production – but why not get started with the MyRocks Introduction? I tried the installation guide and got everything started very quickly. Read about the current limitations and differences between Percona MyRocks and Facebook MyRocks (considering you’ll really want to use MyRocks in a shipping release – Facebook’s MyRocks requires compiling their tree, and this is really not the recommended way to get going!).
- Multiple Data Center Setups Using Galera Cluster for MySQL or MariaDB. Lengthy, but worth a read since many people want to run Galera setups with multiple data centers.
- Running Cassandra? You’ll want to check out Reaper. Nice web-based UI that supports automated repairs of Cassandra clusters. Technology adopted by Spotify.
- Going Multi-Cloud with AWS and GCP: Lessons Learned at Scale. A discussion of the experiences of Metamarkets as they migrated to a multi-cloud environment.
- Security + DevOps Automatic Server Hardening. Hardening framework, which can help you harden your databases (also the base OS, and more). Chef/Puppet/Ansible for automation purposes. You can contribute to making this better as well!
Percona’s web site tracks community events, so check that out and see where to listen to Perconians speak. My upcoming appearances are:
- db tech show case Tokyo 2017. 5-7 September 2017, Tokyo, Japan
- Open Source Summit North America. 11-14 September 2017, Los Angeles, CA, USA
- Percona Live Europe Dublin. 25-27 September 2017, Dublin, Ireland
- Velocity Europe. 17-20 October 2017, London, UK
- Open Source Summit Europe. 23-26 October 2017, Prague, Czech Republic
I’ve been spending time on writing my db tech showcase talk. Will you be in Tokyo, Japan next week? Want to meet up? Don’t hesitate to drop me an email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
bet365 now purchases Basho assets. The good news for Riak users? “It is our intention to open source all of Basho’s products and all of the source code that they have been working on.” The Register covers this, too.