Call for Questions: Webinar with MySQL Benchmarking ExpertsSveta Smirnova
If you attended my latest Troubleshooting MySQL Concurrency Issues with Load Testing Tools webinar you learned how I exploit benchmarking tools to replicate locking issues and crashes. But I told you nothing about proper use of these tools: for reliable benchmarks. I did not tell you that for a reason… I am just a Support Engineer and not a benchmarking expert.
And I have a dream. I want to invite world famous MySQL benchmarking experts for a Percona webinar and ask them for their secrets. I have a pretty long list of my own questions, but in order to make 1-hour webinar productive, we need to concentrate on just a few of the hottest ones. Therefore I need your help.
Please add your questions into the comments field of this blog post. Then we will choose the most important and/or most popular of these to discuss at the webinar.
Some benchmarking questions
My list of questions includes:
- What do you benchmark? Are they real applications or artificial tests?
- How do you create tests for a real application workload?
- Do you test hardware?
- Which tools do you use? How? Any tips?
- How do you work with hardware limitations when the test machine is smaller than the production one?
- Which are the most common mistakes for benchmarks?
- We all heard about “Lies, Damned Lies and Benchmarks”. Why do you still benchmark? How are you sure that yours have meaningful results?
- What are the most common mistakes made by those who publish benchmark results for public use?
- What are the best practices for benchmarks?
Please tell me what you think about these questions and add yours!