Webinar October 4, 2017: Databases in the Hosted CloudEmily Ikuta
Join Percona’s Chief Evangelist, Colin Charles as he presents Databases in the Hosted Cloud on Wednesday, October 4, 2017, at 7:00 am PDT / 10:00 am EDT (UTC-7).
Today you can use hosted MySQL/MariaDB/Percona Server for MySQL/PostgreSQL in several “cloud providers” as a database as a service (DBaaS). Learn the differences, the access methods and the level of control you have for the various public databases in the hosted cloud offerings:
- Amazon RDS including Aurora
- Google Cloud SQL
- Rackspace OpenStack DBaaS
- Oracle Cloud’s MySQL Service
The administration tools and ideologies behind each are completely different, and you are in a “locked-down” environment. Some considerations include:
- Different backup strategies
- Planning for multiple data centers for availability
- Where do you host your application?
- How do you get the most performance out of the solution?
- What does this all cost?
Growth topics include:
- How do you move from one DBaaS to another?
- How do you move from a DBaaS to your own hosted platform?
Colin Charles is the Chief Evangelist at Percona. He was previously on the founding team for MariaDB Server in 2009, worked in MySQL since 2005 and been a MySQL user since 2000. Before joining MySQL, he worked actively on the Fedora and OpenOffice.org projects. He’s well known within many open source communities and has spoken on the conference circuit.