Percona Server 5.5.30 with TokuDB for MySQL

Percona Server 5.5.30 with TokuDB for MySQL

Percona Server with TokuDB for MySQL

Percona Server with TokuDB

I was excited to see that TokuDB for MySQL from Tokutek is now open source. I believe this is a great technology and it was a significant restriction on the adoption when it was distributed only in a binary format with a proprietary license.

So I went and built Percona Server 5.5.30 with TokuDB’s storage engine. This is an experimental build and I am just going to play with it. The build procedure is somewhat complicated and confusing and this stage, so I want to share it with the entire MySQL community in case you want to try it out for yourselves.

It’s available from our TESTING download area. The source code used to build this binary is in the same directory.

Comments (28)

• Aleks L Reply

I have not found at a first glance an answer on obvious question, can it be replacement for InnoDB based application? What redevelopment does it require?

April 24, 2013 at 12:59 pm
  • Paul Otto Reply

Thanks for putting this together Vadim. I tried to use the released binary last night and could not get INSTALL PLUGIN to work – initialization fails with errors. Hopefully this will be more fruitful.

April 24, 2013 at 1:08 pm
  • Zardosht Kasheff Reply

Otto, please email tokudb-user@googlegroups.com with details on your issue. We have set up that google groups list to deal with such issues.

April 24, 2013 at 1:45 pm
  • Rob Smith Reply

This is super exciting. We would love to be able to use percona + tokudb with the same binaries.

April 24, 2013 at 1:45 pm
  • Paul Otto Reply

Thanks Zardosht – I actually just figured out it didn’t like that RHEL 6 having /sys/kernel/mm/redhat_transparent_hugepage/enabled. After issuing echo never > /sys/kernel/mm/redhat_transparent_hugepage/enabled from the CLI, I was able to get the plugin to initialize. That isn’t part of the Quick Start Guide, so anyone else using RHEL 6 (and presumably CentOS 6) may have to follow suit.

April 24, 2013 at 2:06 pm
  • Zardosht Kasheff Reply

Thanks Paul. I am glad you were not able to run with huge pages enabled, as that tanks our performance, because it prevents us from accurately tracking our memory usage. I have passed along the feedback that you were not immediately able to diagnose the issue.

You are right about users running RHEL 6 and CentOS 6 will have to follow suit, with our build and probably this Percona build as well.

April 24, 2013 at 2:16 pm
  • Fernando Mattera Reply

Sorry for my ignorance, I have the tarball, I decompress, so now?
    I’m running on CentOS 5.7 and honestly, I used to install MySQL with rpm packages.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks

April 24, 2013 at 2:58 pm
  • Fernando Mattera Reply

I follow http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/binary-installation.html and seems to be fine, but when I try to run mysql command-line I found this:

# bin/mysql
    bin/mysql: error while loading shared libraries: libtinfo.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

What I miss?

April 24, 2013 at 3:17 pm
  • Fernando Mattera Reply

I found this:

# ldd mysql
    linux-vdso.so.1 => (0x00007fff0f1c0000)
    librt.so.1 => /lib64/librt.so.1 (0x00000035c5600000)
    libpthread.so.0 => /lib64/libpthread.so.0 (0x0000003c72200000)
    libdl.so.2 => /lib64/libdl.so.2 (0x000000309de00000)
    libtinfo.so.5 => not found
    libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6 (0x00000030b1800000)
    libm.so.6 => /lib64/libm.so.6 (0x000000309e600000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib64/libc.so.6 (0x000000309da00000)
    /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x000000309d600000)
    libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib64/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00000030af800000)

Maybe CentOS it’s a little old for Percona.

April 24, 2013 at 3:24 pm
  • Albert Strasheim Reply

yum install ncurses-libs might be the fix for the libtinfo problem.

April 25, 2013 at 12:24 am
  • zhai Reply

I can start the server but failed to connect the server.

error message:

$ mysql -S /u01/tokudb/run/mysql.sock -uroot
    ERROR 2012 (HY000): Error in server handshake

Is there any solution?

April 25, 2013 at 12:59 am
  • Fernando Mattera Reply

Finally I copied this file from a server with a newer CentOS version, and it works.
    Crazy.

April 25, 2013 at 8:42 am
  • Fernando Mattera Reply

Hi,

me again. Will Percona Xtrabackup supports tokuDB in the future?

April 25, 2013 at 8:52 am
  • Albert Strasheim Reply

Same error as zhai here…

Not much in the logs… the version strings look a bit broken though

130425 15:07:00 Percona XtraDB (https://www.percona.com) 5.5.30-tokudb-7.0.1-tokudb-7.0.1-tokudb-7.0.1-tokudb-7.0.1-tokudb-7.0.1-tokudb-7.0.1-tokudb-7.0.1-tokudb-7.0.1-29.3 started; log sequence number 1597971

Version: ‘5.5.30-tokudb-7.0.1-tokudb-7.0.1-tokudb-7.0.1-tokudb-7.0.1-tokudp�
    ’ socket: ‘/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock’ port: 3306 MySQL Community Server (GPL)

April 25, 2013 at 11:24 am
  • Vadim Tkachenko Reply

To all, sorry for a delay with my response, I was wrapping up with all things on our conference.
    Great too see so much interest and comments, I will answer to some.

1. I re-released the binaries with the fixed version strings. The link is the same.

2. On a weird error at connection. I have no idea what it is yet, make sure you have CentOS 6.x, this is where I compiled. I guess different OS may cause issues.

3. on XtraBackup support… we may have a very basic backup MyISAM-like for TokuDB. Fully functional backup will be available from Tokutek.

April 26, 2013 at 10:54 pm
  • Albert Strasheim Reply

FWIW, I tried the Community Edition from Tokutek and that worked great.

Tested on Fedora 16 and Fedora 17.

April 26, 2013 at 11:21 pm
  • PJ Reply

I get the following error whenever I try to convert 240 GB InnoDB table to TokuDB:

“ERROR 1030 (HY000): Got error -1 from storage engine”

The table has approximately 1.6 billion rows and I used “ALTER TABLE ENGINE=TokuDB” to do the conversion. Any idea on the possible cause? Both of my two attempts so far ended with the said error. Prior to that, I was successful in converting a 10 GB table with a similar schema.

April 28, 2013 at 9:11 pm
  • Shlomi Noach Reply

Building from either Percona’s patch above, or TokuDB for MySQL or TokuDB for MariaDB, I consistently get failure in ./configure:

CMake Error: The following variables are used in this project, but they are set to NOTFOUND.
    Please set them or make sure they are set and tested correctly in the CMake files:
    TOKUFRACTALTREE_LIB
    linked by target “tokudb” in directory /data/tmp/mariadb-5.5.30-tokudb-7.0.1/storage/tokudb
    TOKUPORTABILITY_LIB

Any ideas anyone?

April 29, 2013 at 4:14 am
  • Shlomi Noach Reply

Vadim,

Is your build requiring the use of tokudb.build.bash script?
    This script consistently fails installation for me in normal tokudb distribution, and I don’t see that it should work on your repackaging. Is it still “./configure && make && make install” on your side?

April 29, 2013 at 4:31 am
  • Fernando Mattera Reply

PJ,

try creating an empty table, then insert data, then create index.
    Maybe is better.

April 29, 2013 at 7:18 am
  • Vadim Tkachenko Reply

Shlomi,

The build procedure is complicated.
    I had to modify *make.mysql.bash” script from ft-engine.
    Some build instructions you can see in README from: https://github.com/Tokutek/ft-engine

You can find my modification there:

If nothing helps, I will try to post detailed steps.

April 29, 2013 at 10:16 am
  • Shlomi Noach Reply

@Vadim,

thank you. Am working this out with Tokutek, and documenting all changes.

Shlomi

April 29, 2013 at 10:40 am
  • Mark Grennan Reply

I’m excited. I’d like to run this on one of my slaves. What do I need to do?

I un-tared and ran mysqd. Found I needed to copy the share folder to my data directory. Double check the ownership of the share directory. I don’t see the tokudb engine.

April 29, 2013 at 5:30 pm
  • Vadim Tkachenko Reply

Mark,

There is no many steps if you are on the good platform (CentOS or Fedora).
    I do
    scripts/mysql_install_db –datadir=/data/mysql
    bin/mysqld –datadir=/data/mysql

and it is all good.
    connect from mysql client and check SHOW ENGINES;

April 29, 2013 at 5:33 pm
  • rich prohaska Reply

Hello,
    Leif and I simplified the tokudb build process to a single cmake of the mysql/maria/percona server. These changes are available now in github and will be used in the next point release.

May 1, 2013 at 3:00 pm
  • Antonio Fernandes Reply

Hi,

Do you have plans for xtrabackup to allow backups from TokuDB the same way it does for XtraBD?

Regards

September 12, 2013 at 4:41 am
  • Roel Van de Paar Reply

As an update, see http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2014/03/03/percona-server-5-6-16-64-0-with-tokudb-engine-now-available/ for the new Percona Server 5.6.16-64.0 with TokuDB engine – which is now available as an Alpha release!

March 14, 2014 at 1:22 am