Higher Performance in Percona XtraDB Cluster 5.6 and Monitoring and Management Capabilities in Percona ClusterControl Enable Companies of All Sizes to Cost-Effectively Deploy and Manage High Availability Clusters
PLEASANTON, California – February 4, 2014 – Percona, the company that makes MySQL faster and more reliable, today announced the availability of Percona XtraDB Cluster 5.6, the latest release of the company’s open source high-availability solution for MySQL, designed to consistently deliver an optimal experience through increased performance, faster recovery from node failure, and greater user control. Percona also announced today it has partnered with Severalnines to launch Percona ClusterControl, which enables subscribers of Percona Support for Percona XtraDB Cluster to access the advanced cluster deployment, monitoring, management, and scaling solutions available from Severalnines.
Percona XtraDB Cluster, an open source high availability clustering solution for MySQL, is far less expensive and easier to deploy than MySQL Cluster and much more functional than MySQL replication. Percona XtraDB Cluster 5.6 integrates Percona Server 5.6, Galera 3, and Percona XtraBackup 2.1 into a single, easy-to-deploy, and cost-effective solution. It was downloaded nearly 100,000 times in 2013, more than doubling the number of downloads in 2012. Because it is based on Percona Server 5.6, a drop-in replacement for MySQL, Percona XtraDB Cluster 5.6 is an easy upgrade for current users of MySQL 5.6 or 5.5, Percona Server 5.6 or 5.5, and MariaDB 5.5.
Percona ClusterControl by Severalnines is a privately branded version of Severalnines ClusterControl Community Edition. Percona ClusterControl provides users of clustering solutions including Percona XtraDB Cluster or MySQL Cluster with management and monitoring tools that are invaluable in administering an HA environment. Subscribers of Percona Support for Percona XtraDB Cluster (and other MySQL clustering solutions) can install Percona ClusterControl and access help from Percona during their subscription. Percona has worked directly with Severalnines to ensure full compatibility of ClusterControl Community Edition with Percona XtraDB Cluster and the Percona Support team will provide assistance with the configuration and administration of Percona ClusterControl.
Percona will also provide support for Severalnines ClusterControl Enterprise Edition when it is purchased from Severalnines or Percona and used with a cluster deployment covered by a Percona Support subscription that includes coverage of Percona XtraDB Cluster or MySQL Cluster. ClusterControl Enterprise Edition, the de-facto management solution for Galera-based clusters, provides the highest levels of monitoring and management capabilities for Percona XtraDB Cluster users.
Percona XtraDB Cluster 5.6 users who do not opt for a Percona Support contract can download and use the Severalnines ClusterControl Community Edition for free.
Highlights of Percona XtraDB Cluster 5.6
Percona XtraDB Cluster 5.6, an open source solution, provides significant performance improvements over all previous Galera-based implementations via the following new features:
- Higher performance for high I/O workloads as a result of the new ThreadPool feature in Percona Server 5.6.
- Faster recovery from node failures using the latest version of Percona XtraBackup, which supports stream compression/decompression.
- Improved performance for InnoDB log files larger than 8 GB.
- User control over the balance between application functionality and user response times thanks to a new Statement Timeout feature in Percona Server 5.6.
- Reduced memory usage and greater data integrity as a result of the new writeset format and 128-bit writeset checksums features in Galera.
- Enhancements for multi-master replication in cloud and WAN environments which enable high availability between data centers
Highlights of Percona ClusterControl by Severalnines
- Percona ClusterControl offers customers the broadest flexibility to deploy, monitor, and manage Percona XtraDB Clusters, supporting on-premise and Amazon Web Services deployments, as well as deployments spread across multiple cloud vendors.
- Percona ClusterControl can be used to automate the deployment of Percona XtraDB Cluster in cross-region, multi-datacenter setups.
- Percona ClusterControl offers a full range of management functionality for clusters, including:
- Node and cluster recovery
- Configuration management
- Performance health checks
- Online backups
- Scale out
- Cloning of clusters
- Deploying HAProxy load balancers
- Percona ClusterControl can also be used with other clustering solutions, including MySQL Cluster, MariaDB Galera Cluster, and MongoDB. Percona Support subscribers that elect coverage for these clustering solutions automatically receive Percona ClusterControl with their subscriptions.
Vinay Joosery, Co-founder and CEO of Severalnines
“Percona is on the right track, pursuing every avenue to make it possible for companies to ensure data availability at a lower cost. The combination of Percona XtraDB Cluster and Severalnines ClusterControl creates an extraordinarily powerful solution that is within the financial means of most businesses. This is a significant accomplishment in our industry.”
Seppo Jaakola, CEO of Codership
We work very closely with Percona on improving our products and integrating them with Percona Server for optional high availability clustering. We appreciate our close working relationship with the Percona staff. We are excited that Percona is the first to incorporate Galera 3 in a released high availability solution for MySQL that has groundbreaking new enhancements for running multi-master replication in cloud and WAN environments, enabling enterprises and web companies to build high availability between data centers. Percona XtraDB Cluster makes clustering extremely easy to accomplish on a minimal budget. Whether the database application is internal or external facing, any company can now have much greater confidence that the data it relies on will be available when needed.
Peter Zaitsev, Founder and CEO of Percona, Inc.
“In our increasingly online, real-time world, the availability and integrity of data sources is more important than ever. With the support of Severalnines and Codership, Percona XtraDB Cluster 5.6 and Percona ClusterControl make it possible for every company with mission-critical data to deploy a cost-effective and easy-to-use high availability solution, even in the cloud.”
(888) 401-3401 Ext. 555
Percona has made MySQL faster and more reliable for over 2,000 consulting and support customers worldwide since 2006. Percona provides enterprise-grade MySQL support, Consulting, Training, Remote DBA, and Server Development services to companies such as Cisco Systems, Alcatel-Lucent, Groupon, and the BBC. Percona's founders authored the definitive book High Performance MySQL from O'Reilly Press and the widely read MySQL Performance Blog. Percona also develops software for MySQL users, including Percona Server, Percona XtraBackup, Percona XtraDB Cluster, and Percona Toolkit. The popular Percona Live conferences draw attendees and acclaimed speakers from around the world. For more information, visit www.percona.com.
# # #
Percona® and Percona XtraBackup® are registered trademarks of Percona LLC or its subsidiaries. All other registered and unregistered trademarks in this document are the sole property of their respective owners.