In this session, Geir will describe the new key features that have all ready been announced for MySQL 8.0.
In addition to Data Dictionnary, CTEs and Windows function the session is covering:
* Move to utf8(mb4) as MySQL's default character set
* Language specific case insensitive collation for 21 languages (utf8)
* Invisible index
* Descending indexes
* Improve usability of UUID and IPV6 manipulations
* SQL roles
* SET PERSIST for global variable values
* Performance Schema, instrumenting data locks
* Performance Schema, instrumenting error messages
* Improved cost model with histograms
The presentation ends with some words on scalability, plugin infrastructure and GIS.
Geir Høydalsvik has been working with MySQL Database team since 2008. He is currently employed by Oracle, based in Norway. He is Senior Software Development Director and responsible for the development and maintenance of MySQL Database. He has a background in the database industry, working for the database startup company Clustra Inc. on the Clustra database and for Sun Microsystems on Java DB. He has a Master degree in Computer Science and a PhD in Software Engineering from the Norwegian University of Science and Technology.