In this hands-on lab, you will learn to troubleshoot and fix common MySQL errors. You will be given a pre-configured EC2 instance to use, so please have an SSH client installed on your laptop. This tutorial is for beginner MySQL database administrators who are comfortable with the command line.
1. Instance Crashes and Hangs
* Basic troubleshooting methods
* Evaluating MySQL and system error messages
* Determining issue causes (OS, filesystem, MySQL configuration, MySQL crashes)
* Recovery methods
2. MySQL Replication
* High-level overview and diagnosing issues
* IO thread and SQL thread issues, relay log corruption, duplicate key errors and data drift
* Recovery methods including checksum and sync
3. Performance Issues and Bottlenecks
* Diagnosing performance issues via OS tools and MySQL utilities
* Determining problems queries and connections
* Reducing contention with MySQL configuration changes and commands
* Troubleshooting memory and NUMA issues
Pep has a broad experience in several database platforms, but in recent years he has focused on MySQL. His work abides by the motto of Mission Control at NASA: "Tough and competent". Tough means you are accountable for what you do or fail to do, it means compromise and responsibility. Competent means that you take nothing for granted and you must never be found short in knowledge and skills. This is how Pep feels and lives database management. He is also interested in applying Lean culture to his job and enjoys living in Barcelona with his kids and his partner.
Since the age of 10 I've always been passionate about computers. I've been working with them ever since. In 2005 I got my degree in computer science. I used to work at a major Belgian university where I was developing the e-learning applications. In that position I was the one who looked after the databases. From there on I grew to be their MySQL DBA. Very recently I left the university and joined Pythian as a MySQL Database Consultant.