Testing Fusion-io ioDrive – now with driver 3.1

Testing Fusion-io ioDrive – now with driver 3.1

In my previous post with results for Fusion-io ioDrive we saw some instability in results, I was pointed that it may be fixed in new drivers VSL 3.1.1. I am not sure if this driver is available for everyone – if you are interested, please contact your Fusion-io support representative. I installed new drivers and firmware, and in fact, the result improved.

Information about driver and firmware: Firmware v6.0.0, rev 107006. Fusion-io driver version: 3.1.1 build 172.

Actually an upgrade was not flawless, after a firmware upgrade I had to perform low-level formatting, which erase all data. So if you want to do the same – make sure you copy your data.

So there are results for driver 3.1 (with comparison to previous driver 2.3)

Random writes:

For random writes there is not much improvements, the throughput is about the same.

Random reads:

But there is a significant improvement for random reads. The results is stable on 640 MiB/sec level and it is higher than previously.

Sync random reads per threads, throughput:

Response time:

Again, there is improvement in throughput, in both in quality and absolute value. For response time – in some cases, there is 2x improvement.

So it seems for Fusion-io ioDrive it is worth to consider upgrade to 3.1 Driver (remember to copy your data before).

Comments (6)

• Rob Reply

Thanks for posting the benchmarks. They are very informative. One question: when you configure MySQL, what portion of it resides on the Fusion-IO card? Do you just have your datadir on there? Or is it more complex than that? I’m new to Fusion-IO and I am going to do some testing with a couple of MySQL servers with ioDrive2 cards (two in each) with the 3.1.1 driver. Thanks!

May 18, 2012 at 11:07 am
  • Vadim Tkachenko Reply

Rob,

Easiest way – just put everything on the Fusion-io card.
    For more fine tuning it can be something more complex, but it is case-by-case.

May 18, 2012 at 11:50 am
  • Steve Reply

Vadim,

You mention here that “just put everything on the Fusion-io card.” Since the Fusion-io cards are not bootable, are doing this through a VM environment or putting the MySQL program and everything associated with it on the card. What do you mean by putting everything on there?

I put the data directory and logs on the card and I am not seeing an improvement in my case using the percona mysql config wizard. Could you point me to some good MySQL config help?

Steve

December 19, 2012 at 1:11 pm
  • Rob Reply

Hi Steve,

Vadim will probably respond to this… but when I received his response, I took it to mean everything MySQL related. In my case, I just have the cards mounted as /mnt/iodrive and then have a symlink on my non-fusion-io filesystem linking /usr/local/mysql to /mnt/iodrive. It’s been working great for me. I’d actually have to change my system to have multiple MySQL instances to get full use of the IO performance available now (which I may do soon).

-Rob

December 19, 2012 at 3:09 pm
  • saddam Reply

but one question i cant find driver anywhere for my iodrive
    i just bought it and cant use it with windows 7 because windows cant find it when i try reinstalling
    thanks

October 28, 2013 at 7:18 pm
  • Jonathan King Reply

Hi Vadim

It looks to me like I am getting similar results to you from my Fusion IO card, i.e. around 500Mb/s writes – I’ve bought the 640GB MLC btw.

How does this compare in any way to the stated 1GB/s 64k write bandwidth on their website? any ideas?

Also, they sell the SLC version that supposedly has a write bandwidth of 1.5GB/s. If we take yours and my results and try to calculate what they’d be, if we used an SLC card instead, would we simply imagine that the write speeds would be 50% more ??

Thanks in advance