Percona is a leader in providing best-of-breed enterprise-class support, consulting, managed services, training and software for MySQL®, MariaDB®, MongoDB®, PostgreSQL® and other open source databases in on-premises and cloud environments. Our services and software accommodate rapid growth and application development, help companies develop and deploy agile solutions and improve your ability to keep up with customer needs.
Percona open source database expertise helps businesses avoid downtime and outages, meet customer experience expectations, foster operational and developer collaboration and manage enterprise risks through sound database architecture frameworks.
Discover what it means to work with some of the smartest people in the industry, and help solve some of the most challenging customer problems. We offer flexible hours, competitive salaries, the ability to work remote and the amazing experience of working with a multinational team of experts.
Our Consultants work on projects with a huge variety of companies, from internet startups to established brick and mortar publicly traded companies. At Percona, you'll get a chance to see and work on any database architecture you can imagine. We're looking for MySQL experts who can step back and look at the full stack, as well as be curious about other widely used open-source data platforms.
The Consultant will develop relationships with customers, comprehend and fulfill their needs, and maintain their satisfaction through onsite and remote customer engagements. He/she will scope the technical work that is required to ensure the best possible solution is delivered to the customer given the customer’s unique set of circumstances. Additionally, the Consultant will troubleshoot and resolve customer issues of any complexity as the need arises. You will work remotely and most people work from their homes. Up to 50% travel will be required, both for onsite projects and internal meetings. Access to a reliable high-speed Internet connection is required. This position is for the US, and the consultant must be able to work full-time during US business hours.
This is primarily a MySQL expert position, but Percona also works heavily with MongoDB and PostgreSQL, and anyone with cross-over expertise would be preferred
What are we looking for?
- The ability to perform MySQL/MariaDB and Linux systems consulting
- The ability to talk and collaborate with a customer, envision their problem, and whiteboard solutions
- The ability and desire to figure out how to implement true highly available systems, not just at the database level, but throughout the entire stack
- The passion to see a problem, build a battle plan, and attack the problem
- More than a desire to learn, a thirst and a yearning for learning new ways of doing things. We love people who can think both in and out of the box.
- Someone who not only knows a wide variety of technology, but the wisdom to know when to use it and why.
- Someone who can talk low-level technical details or high level strategy depending on the situation.
- Someone who wants to be challenged, and is uncomfortable by the thought of not moving ahead.
- Take what you do and mentor and teach others in and out of the company how to do it as well (blogging, presenting conference talks, delivering training, etc.)
Skills / Technologies we are interested in
- MySQL and InnoDB configuration, performance tuning, query optimization, & index tuning, MySQL Backups, Application development with MySQL
- Production experience, Multiple datacenters, Large datasets
- Linux, FreeBSDHA tools - load balancers,
- HAProxy, MHA, ProxySQL, Orchestrator
- Percona XtraDB Cluster / Galera
- PHP, Java, Nodejs, Go, Python, Ruby, etc.
- Networking, system administration, hardware, virtualization, containers, scripting, IO subsystems
- Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Vagrant, Consul, etc. would be nice to have but not required
- Content Management Systems (Drupal, Wordpress, etc.), Ecommerce (Magento, etc.) would be nice to have, but not required
- Ability to create and deliver presentations
MySQL Specific Requirements
- 5+ Years MySQL Administration
- Understanding of replication and high availability tools and methods
- Query tuning
- Problem solver skills
- Understanding of InnoDB Internals
- Strong Shell skills
- Strong ability to troubleshoot in a Linux environment
- Willingness to travel often up to 50%
- Able to take direction and work through defined processes
- Do what is best for the company
- Willingness to work odd-hours/weekend
- Participates on the on-call list
- Positive attitude
- Willingness to spend their time learning and innovating
- Constant desire to improve themselves
- Problem solver who can think for themselves
- Attention to detail
Location / Time zone: Remote work from home position that can be located anywhere within the United States with ability to travel to USA clients when needed (up to 50%).
Percona HQ is located in the Durham Area of NC, USA but this specific location isn't required for this opening. We are open to any remote work from home candidates located within the United States.
Remote work from home openings require consistent and strong internet access.
HQ is in Durham, NC USA. Staff members should be available if there is a need for any onsite trainings and/or events at any time.
Note that your legal agreement will be with Percona Staffing LLC, a USA corporation and a subsidiary of Percona LLC.