How to track down the source of Aborted_connects

How to track down the source of Aborted_connects

Yesterday I helped someone who was seeing a lot of “server has gone away” error messages on his website. While investigating this problem, I noticed several things amiss, which appeared to be related but really weren’t. The biggest measurable sign was

These two status variables are actually unrelated (see the manual page that explains them). The first was related to the errors the client was seeing: the server was closing inactive connections after a while, and I fixed it by increasing the wait_timeout configuration variable.

The second error does not indicate that an active connection is closed at all. Rather, it shows that a connection cannot be made for some reason. Perhaps it’s networking, or perhaps there’s an issue with permissions or something else. The first thing I did was look for packet loss between the database server and the web server; the network appeared to be working fine.

With that ruled out (at least, to my satisfaction) I turned to tcpdump to see what was happening with these connections. I ran the following command in one window of my screen session, so I could see when a connection was aborted:

And then I started tcpdump in another window:

After I saw an aborted connection, I cancelled tcpdump and looked at the resulting file. Inspecting the session with tcpdump -r showed that there was a complete TCP session; nothing bad was happening at that layer. So I used the strings utility to look at the text sent in the packets:

I’ve anonymized the offending IP address. However, I checked the server’s grant tables and indeed. that IP address (which is a machine in the local network) is not allowed to connect.

I don’t actually use tcpdump much, but this was a fun little exercise that I thought I’d share with you.

Comments (26)

• KB Benton Reply

Like Antony above, I too agree that mysqld needs audit metrics. Our information protection group is asking us to log all connections to mysqld in utmp-like style so we can see when an account logged in and out and where the connection came from.

August 23, 2008 at 12:00 am
  • KB Benton Reply

Good information, Baron – thanks. :-) Like you, I don’t use tcpdump very often to troubleshoot problems but your example is very helpful.

Tracking down aborted clients can be a real pain if the DBA isn’t regularly monitoring the error logs and allowing mysqld to log warnngs. Failing to keep up with the warnings, however, can cause disk full. I wrote an article you may find interesting on it here: http://kbcmdba.blogspot.com/2011/05/heavy-improper-connection-termination.html.

August 23, 2008 at 12:00 am
  • Nathan Labenz Reply

Baron – I am slow to thank you for responding, but thanks! I can’t get enough of this blog and it’s great that you guys will still respond to questions on old posts. I am approaching Percona fanboy-dom

August 23, 2008 at 12:00 am
  • Baron Schwartz Reply

Nathan, sorry I am slow to respond. There won’t be anything in tcpdump because the connection is actually closed, so the server has no client to send the error message to.

August 23, 2008 at 12:00 am
  • Nathan Labenz Reply

Baron –

I am using this strategy to try to identify the cause of Aborted_connects that I suspect are due to network timeouts. Any idea what the error output would look like? I am using grep to examine the tcpdump output but I can’t seem to find the error message related to Aborted_connects.

Thanks for any suggestions!

August 23, 2008 at 12:00 am
  • Nathan Labenz Reply

Baron –

Any idea what the error output looks like for “Aborted_connects” caused by network timeouts?

I am using this technique to try to track down the root cause of periodic “Aborted_connects” and so far none of the obvious keywords seem to appear in the tcpdump output.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks!

PS – Sorry if this is posted twice. I didn’t get a confirmation or waiting for moderation or anything the first time I tried.

August 23, 2008 at 12:00 am
  • Antony Curtis Reply

If you were to dig out one of my earlier Audit patches for MySQL, you could have hooked a plugin on the aborted connect event and no need to mess about with tcpdump.

August 23, 2008 at 12:36 pm
  • Baron Schwartz Reply

It’s too bad it’s not in the server! There’s no possibility of patching the server in most cases like this.

August 23, 2008 at 12:44 pm
  • Arjen Lentz Reply

Many things that are not being built in/for proxy and enterprise monitor should be direct server features or plugins.
    That not being the case is not a technical decision but one of product marketing. And I *DO NOT LIKE IT*.
    IMHO the “but we need to make money” argument is a wussy cop-out. It’s just so that people don’t have to use their imagination a bit more. What a pity. Such good things could come of looking for real opportunities.

August 24, 2008 at 4:38 am
  • peter Reply

Baron, Antony

Indeed Audit extensions are must to have in MySQL.
    At least very basics it would be good to split Aborted_connects to network related and Authentication_Failures as these are very different events.
    Aborted_clients may also benefit splitting somehow because unexpected aborts (network related) are not the same as aborts when client exists without closing connection or because wait_timeout seconds passed.

August 24, 2008 at 10:04 am
  • sasi Reply

I have read this somewhere

MySQL internally increments a per-host counter it uses to track how many “bad connections” it has seen. When this counter exceeds the value of max_connect_errors MySQL will block the host from connecting again until you issue a FLUSH HOSTS command.

By the above statement it seems clear that mysql server stores the bad client hosts somewhere.I would like to see what are those(if any).Can somebody help?..

July 10, 2010 at 11:42 am
    • bulletxt Reply

thanks, max_connect_errors fixed my issue after getting too many Got an error reading communication packets) error from the logs

April 7, 2016 at 12:21 pm
  • Baron Schwartz Reply

Unfortunately it’s invisible 🙁 I think someone somewhere was working on a SHOW HOSTS patch, but I don’t think it made it into any codebase I know of.

July 12, 2010 at 2:59 pm
  • Arjen Lentz Reply

IIRC it was Jeremy Cole who had that patch. We can probably get it into MariaDB. It makes sense to have that info visible.

July 12, 2010 at 4:31 pm
  • sasi Reply

Hi Baron and Arjen,
    Thanks a lot for your responses 🙂 .Will be waiting for that patch to come live.It is very useful in trouble shooting.

July 22, 2010 at 12:31 pm
  • Daniel Reply

I know this is an old post, but I’m hoping it’s still monitored. Do you have any suggestions on how to accomplish something similar but with a socket rather than TCP?

May 15, 2012 at 1:32 pm
    • Baron Schwartz Reply

I’ve never found a way to snoop on data passing through a Unix socket.

May 15, 2012 at 1:37 pm
  • Daniel Reply

Darn. Well, thanks for the quick reply. This has me at a loss.

May 15, 2012 at 1:39 pm
  • Nick S. Reply

Or…..you can just set the log-warnings variable to greater than 1.

This will start logging the aborted connections in the mysql log.

It’s not as detailed as tcpdump. However, in some cases running tcpdump is not an option.

January 30, 2013 at 3:16 pm
  • Nick S. Reply

Clarification: the log-warnings variable only addresses “Aborted Clients” counter.

January 30, 2013 at 3:25 pm
  • Shlomi Noach Reply

@Nick, no, log-warnings=2 addresses “aborted_connects”, which is what the discussion is about:

However it does NOT log for every aborted connects. I have a server with like 10 aborted connects per second, and only one log entry per 30 seconds…

August 7, 2013 at 3:52 am
  • AndreyEx Reply

There are problems because of too many aborted connections

March 13, 2016 at 6:57 am
  • manish Reply

Don’t forget to put the right network interface.

July 5, 2016 at 8:44 am
  • Umar Yusuf Reply

Have been trying to fix this but not working

April 29, 2017 at 12:48 pm
  • Daniel Reply

I used this technique to try to figure out why I have so much Aborted_connects and to my great surprise, after shutting down every client connect to the database (the result of tcpdump is an empty file), the number of Aborted_connects still goes up. Is it possible to have a connection aborted that does not go through tcpdump?

April 24, 2018 at 12:43 pm
  • Daniel Reply

It turns out the culprit was connected to mysql locally so tcpdump -s 1500 -w tcp2.out -i lo port 3306 (lo for localhost) did the trick.

May 18, 2018 at 8:27 am