MySQL Users Conference Presentation Proposals

MySQL Users Conference Presentation Proposals

OK, I am not getting too much people feedback on what would they like to hear about on MySQL Users Conference, so I went ahead and submitted few presentation ideas.

I do not expect all of them would be accepted, furthermore it would be hard to prepare so many good presentations if they are so please let me know if anything of this is of special interest for you. When I would be able to show that to organizers to help with decision.

Also let me know if you have submitted similar talk as in this case there may be way to work together to produce better talk instead.

Hidden Innodb Tuning Options Innodb Storage Engine has a lot of tuning options hardcoded as constants. We investigate if current values are truly optimal for modern systems and if you can get any additional performance.

Investigating Innodb Scalability Limits You may have heard Innodb has limited scalability with multiple CPUs and some of these were fixed in recent MySQL 5.0 versions. In this presentations we will look into which problems are fixed.

MySQL and Social Networks benchmarks We’re looking at typical operations patterns used in Social Networking web applications and analyzing how to implement them most efficiently with MySQL.

MySQL Performance Landscape This presentation compares MySQL Performance with different CPUs, Operation systems, RAID Configuration, File Systems to assist you with your choices next time you select platform for MySQL.

Performance comparison of MySQL 5.0, MySQL 5.1 and MySQL 6.0 Come to see how performance of MySQL 5.1 and forthcoming MySQL 6.0 are different from MySQL 5.0 – we’ll cover different workloads and see when we see gains and when regressions.

Practical MySQL Variables Tuning This session takes practical approach to MySQL variable tuning. Instead of giving you theoretical guesses on what would be right variable values we’ll perform benchmarks and see that.

Searching Billions of documents with MySQL and Sphinx Learn how to build large scale Full Text Search solutions with MySQL and Sphinx. This presentation will talk about architecture of BoardReader.com which indexes over billion of forum posts.

Transactional Storage Engines Performance We’re looking at performance at Open Source Transactional Storage engine MySQL – Innodb, Falcon, SolidDB, PBXT and analyzing how things have changed since last summer.

Using Slave Server Without Breaking User Experience MySQL Replication is asynchronous this means you should be using slaves only for reads and only reads which can read stale data. This presentation teaches you efficient methods of doing so.

Comments (12)

• Bill Reply

Sorry, I’ve been busy with my projects. I would have suggested Topics #1,#2,#4,#5 and #8. The others sound good as well, but those five ( scalability limits, hidden constants, and hardware &storage engine performance) are really in need of your expertise.

October 24, 2007 at 11:28 am
  • Alexander Rubin Reply

I think all the presentations proposals sounds great. “Hidden Innodb Tuning Options” and “Performance comparison of MySQL 5.0, MySQL 5.1 and MySQL 6.0” will be the most interesting ones.

October 24, 2007 at 11:57 am
  • Diego Reply

I agree that they are all good topics.
    I vote for Hidden Innodb Tuning Options, Searching Billions of documents with MySQL and Sphinx and MySQL Performance Landscape.

October 24, 2007 at 12:23 pm
  • Peter Bach Reply

“Hidden Innodb Tuning Options” is a winner.

Also, how about a presentation on the methodology of performance troubleshooting or benchmarking. Many of your presentation focus on the testing of particular features, and what the numbers are, but this gets repetitive, even if they are kept current.

In general, I think there is too much focus on what the numbers are: “this is fater than that” ,etc. but not enough discussion about how to do a good benchmark properly, common issues to avoid, etc.

Also, one that focus on performance and profiling tools and methodologies for solving common problems in MySQL applications would be welcome. The important things is not what number to set this tuning variable at (though some people only care about that), but WHY particular values are better than others. how does it affect the behaviours.

You might have done something like this in the past, but I may have not seen it.

October 24, 2007 at 12:39 pm
  • peter Reply

Indeed “Practical MySQL Variable Tuning” suppose to show the numbers and tell you which variable sizes are good and why.

I think I tried to submit general performance tuning methodology session couple of times but it was not accepted. Though may be it is worth to try again this year. Indeed too many people do not approach finding bottlenecks systematic enough.

I did couple of presentations on benchmarking methodologies in the past and I think these are interest to relatively few people.

October 24, 2007 at 2:08 pm
  • Nick Reply

“Investigating Innodb Scalability Limits”, is one of the areas that I was thinking of submitting a talk on, for the people it affects, it’s a pretty big issue.

October 24, 2007 at 2:42 pm
  • Jaran Reply

I will not be attending the conference, but topics I would gladly like to hear about if I were are 1,2,4 and 5 at least 🙂 Will presentations from the conference be taped and made available online after the conference?

October 25, 2007 at 12:07 am
  • peter Reply

Jaran,

Sure. We publish all talks online http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/mysql-performance-presentations/

Thanks for feedback.

October 25, 2007 at 2:30 am
  • Mark Callaghan Reply

I vote for benchmarks that compare storage engine performance. You have done a great job with these in the past and they provide a great counterpoint to some of the other messages we get about storage engines.

October 25, 2007 at 2:53 pm
  • daesan Reply

I vote for “MySQL and Social Networks benchmarks” and “Transactional Storage Engines Performance”.

New SNS services are springing up everywhere and it seems that design decisions for these services early on is particularly important. If you can provide some design insights into this, many (including myself) would be very grateful.

Also, many people are now interested in new storage engines. However, informations on these new storage engines are rather sparse. It would be great if you can shed more lights on these topics.

By the way, thanks a lot for sharing valuable knowledge! 🙂

October 27, 2007 at 7:51 pm
  • Yet another presentation submission | MySQL Performance Blog Reply

[…] at the Feedback I got for other Presentations Proposals I thought I indeed should submit general presentation focusing on Web Application performance […]

October 30, 2007 at 4:03 pm
  • Speaking on MySQL Users Conference 2008 | MySQL Performance Blog Reply

[…] back at Proposals (+1) I’m surprised only one talk was chosen and also this particular […]

February 3, 2008 at 3:06 pm