Percona Server is an enhanced, drop-in MySQL® replacement which has been downloaded more than 1,400,000 times. Percona Server is based on the Percona XtraDB Storage Engine, an enhanced version of the InnoDB storage engine for MySQL and MariaDB.
Percona Server is a free open source MySQL alternative which offers breakthrough performance, scalability, features, and instrumentation. It is based on the latest versions of MySQL and additionally includes extra features which are only found in the MySQL Enterprise Edition. Self-tuning algorithms and support for extremely high-performance hardware make it the clear choice for organizations that demand excellent performance and reliability from their MySQL database server. Find out how or compare Percona Server to MySQL.
With Percona Server:
- Queries will run faster and more consistently
- You can consolidate servers on powerful hardware
- Sharding is delayed or avoided entirely
- You can save money on hosting fees and power
- You can spend less time tuning and administering
- You can achieve higher uptime
- Troubleshooting does not require guesswork
Percona Server's performance is exceptional. Not only is it faster, but as you can see in the benchmark at the left, it is more stable and consistent. Our research into server internals and our Six-Sigma-like focus on quality of service have resulted in the industry's most predictable response times and throughput. Standard MySQL suffers from complete lockups due to checkpointing and furious flushing to disk.
Vertical scalability and server consolidation is a reality with Percona Server. A few years ago, MySQL could not scale past 4 CPU cores, and had a hard-coded limit of 100 disk operations per second. Today, Percona Server scales to over 48 CPU cores—more than most commodity servers. And it can achieve hundreds of thousands of I/O operations per second on high-end solid-state hardware. Download our Scaling MySQL Deployments With Percona Server and Virident tachIOn Drives white paper to learn more about how to stop sharding and start scaling.
Percona Server excels in use cases where MySQL was formerly ill-suited. Here's a sampling:
- Cloud Computing. Dramatically reduced downtime on servers with slow disks and large memory, such as 4XL EC2 servers on EBS volumes. Download our Configuring Percona Server with XtraDB for Fast Restarts white paper to learn more.
- Software-As-A-Service. Increased flexiblity for architectures such as colocated databases with hundreds of thousands of tables and heterogeneous backup and retention policies. Download our Percona Server with XtraDB for Software-as-a-Service Application Databases white paper to learn more.
Percona Server is designed for scientific performance optimization. The secret to its performance and stability is our years of work adding more measurability to the server. This has enabled thousands of users to find and eliminate causes of performance problems, quickly and reliably. Here are a few key ways Percona Server is the most measurable MySQL server you can get:
- Detailed query logging with per-query statistics about locking, I/O, and query plan.
- Performance and access counters per-table, per-index, per-user, and per-host.
- Aggregated response time statistics for measuring performance, not just operation counts.