Percona XtraBackup is an open source, free MySQL® hot backup software that performs non-blocking backups for InnoDB and XtraDB databases. With Percona XtraBackup, you can achieve the following benefits:
- Backups that complete quickly and reliably
- Uninterrupted transaction processing during backups
- Savings on disk space and network bandwidth
- Automatic backup verification
- Higher uptime due to faster restore time
Percona XtraBackup makes MySQL hot backups for all versions of Percona Server, MySQL, MariaDB®, and Drizzle. It performs streaming, compressed, and incremental backups to your MySQL backup database.
Percona's enterprise-grade commercial MySQL Support contracts include support for Percona XtraBackup. We recommend support for critical production deployments.
MySQL Backup Tool Feature Comparison
|Feature||Percona XtraBackup||MySQL Enterprise Backup
(InnoDB Hot Backup)
|Price||Free||$5000 per server|
|Point-in-time recovery support|
|OS buffer optimizations 3|
|Export individual tables|
|Restore tables to a different server|
|Analyze data & index files|
|Familiar command-line behavior 4|
-  MyISAM backups require a table lock.
-  Percona XtraBackup performs throttling based on the number of IO operations per second. MySQL Enterprise Backup supports a configurable sleep time between operations.
-  Percona XtraBackup tunes the operating system buffers to avoid swapping. See the documentation.
-  Percona XtraBackup is linked against the MySQL client libraries, so it behaves the same as standard MySQL command-line programs. MySQL Enterprise Backup has its own command-line and configuration-file behaviors.
What are the features of Percona XtraBackup?
Here is a short list of Percona XtraBackup features. See the documentation for more.
- Create hot InnoDB backups without pausing your database
- Make incremental backups of MySQL
- Stream compressed MySQL backups to another server
- Move tables between MySQL servers online
- Create new MySQL replication slaves easily
- Backup MySQL without adding load to the server