Percona XtraBackup is an open source, free MySQL® hot backup software that performs non-blocking backups for InnoDB and XtraDB databases. With Percona XtraBackup, you can achieve the following benefits:
- Backups that complete quickly and reliably
- Uninterrupted transaction processing during backups
- Savings on disk space and network bandwidth
- Automatic backup verification
- Higher uptime due to faster restore time
Percona XtraBackup makes MySQL hot backups for all versions of Percona Server, MySQL, and MariaDB®. It performs streaming, compressed, and incremental backups to your MySQL backup database.
Percona's enterprise-grade commercial MySQL Support contracts include support for Percona XtraBackup. We recommend support for critical production deployments.
MySQL Backup Tool Feature Comparison
|Feature||Percona XtraBackup||MySQL Enterprise Backup
(InnoDB Hot Backup)
|Price||Free||Included in subscription at $5000 per Server|
|Streaming and encryption formats||Open source||Proprietary|
|Supported MySQL flavors||MySQL, Percona Server, MariaDB, Percona XtraDB Cluster, MariaDB Galera Cluster||MySQL|
|Supported operating systems||Linux||Linux, Solaris, Windows, OSX, FreeBSD.|
|Non-blocking InnoDB backups |
|Blocking MyISAM backups|
|Full compressed backups|
|Incremental compressed backups|
|Fast incremental backups |
|Incremental backups with archived logs feature in Percona Server|
|Incremental backups with REDO log only|
|Backup locks |
|Parallel local backups|
|Partial backups of individual partitions|
|Backup image validation|
|Point-in-time recovery support|
|Safe slave backups|
|Compact backups |
|Buffer pool state backups|
|Individual tables export|||
|Individual partitions export|
|Restoring tables to a different server |
|Data & index file statistics|
|InnoDB secondary indexes defragmentation|
|rsync support to minimize lock time|
|Improved FTWRL handling|
|Backup history table|
|Backup progress table|
|Backup to tape media managers|
|Cloud backups support||Amazon S3|
|External graphical user interfaces to backup/recovery||Zmanda Recovery Manager for MySQL||MySQL Workbench, MySQL Enterprise Monitor|
-  InnoDB tables are still locked while copying non-InnoDB data.
-  Fast incremental backups are supported for Percona Server with XtraDB changed page tracking enabled.
-  Percona XtraBackup supports encryption with any kinds of backups. MySQL Enterprise Backup only supports encryption for single-file backups.
-  Percona XtraBackup performs throttling based on the number of IO operations per second. MySQL Enterprise Backup supports a configurable sleep time between operations.
-  Percona XtraBackup skips secondary index pages and recreates them when a compact backup is prepared. MySQL Enterprise Backup skips unused pages and reinserts on the prepare stage.
-  Percona XtraBackup can export individual tables even from a full backup, regardless of the InnoDB version. MySQL Enterprise Backup uses InnoDB 5.6 transportable tablespaces only when performing a partial backup.
-  Tables exported with Percona XtraBackup can be imported into Percona Server 5.1, 5.5 or 5.6+, or MySQL 5.6+. Transportable tablespaces created with MySQL Enterprise Backup can only be imported to Percona Server 5.6+, MySQL 5.6+ or MariaDB 10.0+.
-  Backup locks is a lightweight alternative to FLUSH TABLES WITH READ LOCK available in Percona Server 5.6+. Percona XtraBackup uses them automatically to copy non-InnoDB data to avoid blocking DML queries that modify InnoDB tables.