Scaling MySQL for the Web
The database is notorious for being one of the most challenging web-architecture components to scale horizontally. In this talk we will take an in-depth look at how to tackle designing a custom sharded MySQL database architecture, and the challenge of pulling off a smooth transition from legacy infrastructure and code. As a basis for our discussion, we will use the story of how Box's database infrastructure was transformed from a single monolithic MySQL database to a fully sharded database architecture, all the while continuously serving billions of queries per day.
Come learn about:
- What horizontally scaling a relational database really means.
- Alternatives to sharding such as functional partitioning and NoSQL.
- When taking on the crazy task of sharding is actually a good idea.
- How to approach designing a sharded architecture that fits your needs, and solves your pain points.
- How to make fundamental architectural changes without bugs and without downtime.