Percona Launches Managed MySQL Backup-as-a-Service Solution
Percona Backup Service Combines Best Practices for MySQL Server Backup with Efficient Data Recovery Options
DURHAM, North Carolina – June 17, 2014 – Percona, the company that makes MySQL faster and more reliable, today announced the Percona Backup Service, a managed service that ensures properly configured MySQL server backups run successfully as scheduled on customer provided backup storage - whether on premises, in the cloud, or in a hybrid environment. Backup issues and production data recovery needs are quickly handled by expert technicians with deep knowledge of MySQL backup technology.
The Percona Backup Service is available for companies using any variant of single-node or clustered MySQL— on premise or in the cloud—and provides full visibility into the status of all backups through a convenient customer portal. Developed by MySQL experts with decades of MySQL operational experience, the service is based on widely adopted open source software solutions, some of which Percona created including Percona XtraBackup. Monitoring software ensures backups run as expected, and any issues are immediately reported to Percona technical experts who are on duty 24x7x365 to resolve problems before the availability of backups is impacted.
The Percona Backup Service offers:
- Anytime access to backup datasets via a customer portal, including instructions on how to restore the MySQL backups for non-production purposes
- Efficient data recovery for production issues with full, partial, and point-in-time recovery options that are based on Percona’s proprietary technology, which creates fine-grained backup points that enable rapid recovery of individual tables or full data images to a specified point in time
- A high level of security with 256 bit encryption and backups stored only on the customer’s secure servers
- Regulatory compliance with backups available for on-demand recovery to comply with HIPAA, SOX, and PCI regulations
- Lower cost than managing MySQL backups in-house with 24x7x365 monitoring and issue resolution combined with a proprietary backup approach that significantly reduces the size of the backup data set, requiring much less storage space than conventional methods
- Ability to accommodate any combination of MySQL server and backup server locations – on premises, in the cloud, or in a hybrid environment
- Flexible configuration options that enable the service to meet a wide range of data availability and budget requirements
Peter Zaitsev, Founder and CEO of Percona, Inc.
“Successful MySQL server backup and recovery requires the right tools and the ability to repeatedly follow a set of complex processes that must always be done right in order to avoid putting your applications at risk in case of data loss. Offered as a managed backup-as-a-service solution, the Percona Backup Service is a simpler, more flexible and more cost-effective alternative to managing MySQL backups in-house. It is a convenient alternative for organizations running mission critical web and mobile applications that lack the internal personnel or processes to guarantee the availability of their backup data in case of a disaster recovery scenario.”
(888) 401-3401 Ext. 555
Percona has made MySQL faster and more reliable for over 2,000 consulting and support customers worldwide since 2006. Percona provides enterprise-grade MySQL support, Consulting, Training, Managed Services, and Server Development services to companies such as Cisco Systems, Alcatel-Lucent, Groupon, and the BBC. Percona's founders authored the definitive book High Performance MySQL from O'Reilly Press and the widely read MySQL Performance Blog. Percona also develops software for MySQL users, including Percona Server, Percona XtraBackup, Percona XtraDB Cluster, and Percona Toolkit. The popular Percona Live conferences draw attendees and acclaimed speakers from around the world. For more information, visit www.percona.com.
# # #
Percona® and XtraBackup® are registered trademarks of Percona LLC or its subsidiaries. All other registered and unregistered trademarks in this document are the sole property of their respective owners.