MySQL Patterns in Amazon - Make the Cloud Work For You
For the next three hours, Palomino is going to talk about our successes and failures across a number of different AWS hosted environments. We're going to show you how to build your MySQL environment in the cloud -- how to maintain it -- how to grow it -- and how to deal with failure. Some of the specific topics we'll cover are:
1. How to choose RDS or EC2?
2. Balancing performance and availability against resources and cost.
3. Implementation choices: instance sizing, ephemeral SSDs, EBS, provisioned IOPs.
4. Leveraging regions and availability zones for business continuity and disaster recovery.
5. Provisioning and configuration management, security, monitoring, alerting, trending.
6. Backing up EBS and ephemeral storage (snapshots, xtrabackup, S3)
7. Managing DDL and rolling migrations.
8. Common failure modes - AZ failures, EBS corruption, EBS performance inconsistencies and more.
9. Cost structures, estimating and tracking cost.
10. Managing and mitigating cost with various instance and storage options.