Introductory-level session for database administrators interested in taking their first steps in migrating an existing Oracle database to PostgreSQL. The session may extend beyond its time slot for those who are interested to learn about this topic.
- What are the steps?
- What are the major challenges?
- Which tools should we use?
The session will focus on the basic steps, procedures and tools every DBA should use for migrating Oracle databases to PostgreSQL and will cover: source database migration assessment, schema conversion, data replication and performance tuning.
1. Overview of the five steps for database migrations: assessment and migration planning, schema conversion, data migration, application conversion.
3. Why planning and assessment is important for successful migration execution.
4. Key take-away insights from planning your migration that will impact implementation.
5. Using migVisor for the migration assessment.
6. Using Ora2PG for schema conversion.
7. Data replication: concepts, best practices and available tools.