Percona + Munin

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Percona + Munin

    I have installed Munin on one of my server. It is configured to monitor all the services (MySQL, Nginx etc). Due to some reason, MySQL innodb graphs are not working. However, these graphs work fine with default MySQL installation (Oracle package). On running any plugin manually following error is appearing .

    Unknown section: Main thread process no. 25613, id 1252911424, state: waiting for server activity at /etc/munin/plugins/mysql_innodb_bpool_act line 1091.

    Percona 5.5 is installed on the machine.

    Any ideas ?

  • #2
    I suspect that there is a bug in the Munin scripts and the same problem would happen with MySQL 5.5. There were a lot of changes to SHOW ENGINE INNODB STATUS in MySQL 5.5, which Percona Server 5.5 inherits.


    • #3
      Thank you for the update. Will try it using MySQL 5.5 and let you know the results.


      • #4
        SHOW ENGINE INNODB STATUS command works fine on standard installation of MySQL 5.5. I ran this command on both the installations and you may check the output from following links :

        MySQL 5.5.10 - http://codepad.org/QvpS5sCB
        Percona 5.5.13-55 - http://codepad.org/wJEbTSah

        In second link, please check the message appearing on line 103

        Main thread process no. 3334, id 1207859520, state: waiting for server activity


        Any ideas ?


        • #5
          I don't mean to zombie this thread, but I just ran into this problem today. The issue is that the mysql_ munin plugin parses the output of show engine innodb status by breaking it into sections identified by a line with a bunch of dashes followed by a line that has a header followed by another line with a bunch of dashes. Percona seems to be including an extra bit of output as part of "ROW OPERATIONS" called "oldest view" which trips this simple parsing method up. I'm working on a way to modify the plugin, no promises, but I just thought I'd chime in and explain it.


          • #6
            Ok, I have a dirty hack that fixes this issue. I'm sure someone better at Perl could do a more complete re-write of this plugin to account for this situation, but I am not a Perl programmer.

            Here is the updated mysql_ plugin source: http://codepad.org/7LzFLyl3

            The line I added is 970. It solves this specific issue as the output stands for me right now (Percona Server 5.5.22-55), and I had to match two lines together to keep from removing other important stuff. I would both welcome and celebrate an actual solution to this, but this simple addition should get your monitoring working.