About Percona Xtrabackup¶
Percona XtraBackup is the world’s only open-source, free MySQL hot backup software that performs non-blocking backups for InnoDB and XtraDB databases. With Percona XtraBackup, you can achieve the following benefits:
- Backups that complete quickly and reliably
- Uninterrupted transaction processing during backups
- Savings on disk space and network bandwidth
- Automatic backup verification
- Higher uptime due to faster restore time
Percona XtraBackup makes MySQL hot backups for all versions of Percona Server, MySQL, and MariaDB. It performs streaming, compressed, and incremental MySQL backups.
Percona XtraBackup works with MySQL, MariaDB, and Percona Server. It supports completely non-blocking backups of InnoDB, XtraDB, and HailDB storage engines. In addition, it can back up the following storage engines by briefly pausing writes at the end of the backup: MyISAM, Merge, and Archive, including partitioned tables, triggers, and database options.
Percona’s enterprise-grade commercial MySQL Support contracts include support for Percona XtraBackup. We recommend support for critical production deployments.
MySQL Backup Tool Feature Comparison¶
|Features||Percona XtraBackup||MySQL Enterprise Backup (InnoDB Hot Backup)|
|Price||Free||$5000 per server|
|Point-in-time recovery support||Yes||Yes|
|OS buffer optimizations ||Yes|
|Export individual tables||Yes|
|Restore tables to a different server||Yes|
|Analyze data & index files||Yes|
|Familiar command-line behavior ||Yes|
What are the features of Percona XtraBackup?¶
Here is a short list of Percona XtraBackup features. See the documentation for more.
- Create hot InnoDB backups without pausing your database
- Make incremental backups of MySQL
- Stream compressed MySQL backups to another server
- Move tables between MySQL servers on-line
- Create new MySQL replication slaves easily
- Backup MySQL without adding load to the server
|||MyISAM backups require a table lock.|
|||Percona XtraBackup performs throttling based on the number of IO operations per second. MySQL Enterprise Backup supports a configurable sleep time between operations.|
|||Percona XtraBackup tunes the operating system buffers to avoid swapping. See the documentation.|
|||Percona XtraBackup is linked against the MySQL client libraries, so it behaves the same as standard MySQL command-line programs. MySQL Enterprise Backup has its own command-line and configuration-file behaviors.|