Percona TokuMX is a highly scalable, zero-maintenance downtime database supporting the MongoDB v2.4 protocol and drivers that replaces all MongoDB storage with Fractal Tree indexes. Percona TokuMX requires no changes to MongoDB applications or code. The main benefits of Percona TokuMX are:
- Improved single-threaded and multi-threaded performance
- Fully ACID and MVCC transaction support
- No maintenance or scheduled downtime necessary
- Clustering key support for query acceleration
- Better read scaling and reduced lag on replica sets
- Low-impact migrations and accelerated range queries with clustering shard keys
- Fast, read-free updates
- Hot Backup
- Point-in-time Recovery
- Audit Logging
- Reduced SSD wear
- Geospatial Indexes
- Includes all MongoDB v2.4 functionality except Text Search
TokuMX enhances large databases (typically 50 GBs or larger) in the following ways:
- Faster indexing: TokuMX speeds up indexing by 10x or more, so database scalability radically improves. With its significant improvement to insertion speed and indexing, TokuMX delivers faster query performance in live production systems when collections are too large for main memory. This makes TokuMX ideal for applications that must simultaneously query and update large volumes of rapidly arriving data (e.g., clickstream analytics).
- Document Level Locking: TokuMX has document level locking for inserts, updates, and deletes, whereas MongoDB has DB level locking. This improves the performance of multithreaded read/write workloads even within a single collection, allowing a single server to scale out reads and writes.
- Fast updates that can run 10-30x faster by avoiding unnecessary disk reads.
TokuMX transparently compresses all data on disk, and achieves up to a 20x reduction in HDD and flash storage requirements without impacting performance. It can dramatically reduce the number of servers needed to host a MongoDB database.
Percona TokuMX adds transactions with MVCC semantics and ACID reliability to any MongoDB application, making MongoDB suitable for a much wider range of applications. This includes:
- Snapshot (MVCC) queries: Without application changes, queries in TokuMX return a consistent snapshot of the data. Queries will not see the effects of modifications that complete after the query starts, unlike in MongoDB where documents can be out of sync, duplicated, or missing due to interleaved updates.
- Multi-statement transactions: TokuMX supports new commands for managing concurrent, isolated transactions that span multiple query and modification statements.
Note that multi-statement transactions are not available in sharded environments.
TokuMX does not require routine maintenance to deal with fragmentation, as performance remains steady through heavy usage. Data does not ever need to be compacted, repaired, or re-indexed to restore performance.
TokuMX provides an option to declare a secondary index as clustering to provide much better performance on a broader range of queries. A clustering key includes (or clusters) all document fields in a collection along with the key. As a result, one can efficiently retrieve any field when doing a range query on a clustering index, thereby dramatically reducing I/O.
In replica sets, TokuMX significantly reduces the I/O requirements for secondaries to apply changes from the primary. This leads to reduced lag and better read scaling on secondaries.
Note that TokuMX replication is not compatible with MongoDB, so you cannot run both in a replica set. However, we have also created a “Migration Toolkit” to assist evaluations and deployments for users with existing installations of basic MongoDB.
TokuMX’s Hot Backup solution gives you backups you can trust, without downtime or complicated cluster management. This feature is only available in the Enterprise Edition.
TokuMX’s Point-in-time Recovery plugin empowers administrators to get a snapshot of the database at any point in the past, for disaster recovery, accountability, or historical analytics. This feature is only available in the Enterprise Edition.
TokuMX’s Audit Logging provides insight into the security of your cluster, providing feature parity with audit capabilities of MongoDB Enterprise Edition v2.6, with even more reliability. This feature is only available in the Enterprise Edition.
TokuMX’s fractal trees do fewer and bigger writes to the file system, thereby reducing wear on the SSD and extending its lifetime.
Starting with version 2.0, TokuMX includes full support for Geospatial Indexes.
TokuMX is a true drop-in replacement for MongoDB. All MongoDB v2.4 features are present except Text Search.
For general inquiries, please send us your question and someone will contact you.