Percona Distribution for MySQL 8.0 Documentation¶
Percona Distribution for MySQL is a single solution with the best and most critical enterprise components from the MySQL open source community, designed and tested to work together. By leveraging the distribution, you get the exact combination of software and tools required to successfully deploy, run and operate your MySQL databases to meet your application and business needs.
Percona Distribution for MySQL consists of the following components:
- Percona Server for MySQL is a drop-in replacement for MySQL Community Edition with the enterprise-grade features embedded by Percona.
- Percona XtraDB Cluster is the high-available clustering solution for MySQL. It is based on Percona Server for MySQL and uses Percona XtraBackup for node provisioning.
- Percona XtraBackup is an open-source hot backup utility for MySQL-based servers that doesn’t lock your database during the backup.
- Orchestrator is the replication topology manager for Percona Server for MySQL.
- HAProxy is the default high-availability and load-balancing solution for Percona XtraDB Cluster.
- ProxySQL is a high performance, high-availability, protocol-aware proxy for MySQL.
- Percona Toolkit is the set of scripts to simplify and optimize database operation.
- MySQL Shell is an advanced client and code editor for MySQL Server.
- MySQL Router is lightweight middleware that provides transparent routing between your application and back-end MySQL Servers.
Percona Distribution for MySQL provides two deployment variants: one is Percona Server for MySQL-based and another one is Percona XtraDB Cluster-based. Each deployment is available via its own repository and includes the base server (Percona Server for MySQL or Percona XtraDB Cluster) and components. The table below lists what components are available with each server:
|Components||Percona Server for MySQL||Percona XtraDB Cluster|
What deployment variant to choose?¶
The Percona Server-based deployment variant with asynchronous replication utilizes the primary / secondary replication model. It enables you to create geographically distributed infrastructures with the support for disaster recovery. However, this deployment variant does not guarantee data consistency on all nodes at the given moment and provides high availability of up to 4 nines.
The Percona Server-based deployment variant with Group Replication enables you to create fault-tolerant systems with redundancy by replicating the system state to a set of servers. Percona Server for MySQL-based deployment with Group Replication offers a high grade of high availability (4-5 nines) and almost instant fail over when associated with a proxy.
The Percona XtraDB Cluster-based deployment variant guarantees data consistency on all nodes and zero data loss. The Percona XtraDB Cluster-based deployment provides a high grade of high availability (4-5 nines) and almost instant fail over.
Installation and Upgrade¶
- Release Notes
- Percona Distribution for MySQL 8.0.21 using Percona Server for MySQL
- Percona Distribution for MySQL 8.0.20 using Percona XtraDB Cluster Second Update
- Percona Distribution for MySQL 8.0.20 using Percona XtraDB Cluster Update
- Percona Distribution for MySQL 8.0.20 using Percona XtraDB Cluster
- Percona Distribution for MySQL 8.0.20 using Percona Server for MySQL
- Percona Distribution for MySQL 8.0.19