Percona Kubernetes Operator for Percona XtraDB Cluster 1.1.0¶
Percona announces the general availability of Percona Kubernetes Operator for Percona XtraDB Cluster 1.1.0 on July 15, 2019. This release is now the current GA release in the 1.1 series. Install the Kubernetes Operator for Percona XtraDB Cluster by following the instructions.
The Percona Kubernetes Operator for Percona XtraDB Cluster automates the lifecycle and provides a consistent Percona XtraDB Cluster instance. The Operator can be used to create a Percona XtraDB Cluster, or scale an existing Cluster and contains the necessary Kubernetes settings.
The Operator simplifies the deployment and management of the Percona XtraDB Cluster in Kubernetes-based environments. It extends the Kubernetes API with a new custom resource for deploying, configuring and managing the application through the whole life cycle.
The Operator source code is available in our Github repository. All of Percona’s software is open-source and free.
New features and improvements:
- Now the Percona Kubernetes Operator allows upgrading Percona XtraDB Cluster to newer versions, either in semi-automatic or in manual mode.
- Also, two modes are implemented for updating the Percona XtraDB Cluster
my.cnfconfiguration file: in automatic configuration update mode Percona XtraDB Cluster Pods are immediately re-created to populate changed options from the Operator YAML file, while in manual mode changes are held until Percona XtraDB Cluster Pods are re-created manually.
- A separate service account is now used by the Operator’s containers which need special privileges, and all other Pods run on default service account with limited permissions.
- User secrets are now generated automatically if don’t exist: this feature especially helps reduce work in repeated development environment testing and reduces the chance of accidentally pushing predefined development passwords to production environments.
- The Operator is now able to generate TLS certificates itself which removes the need in manual certificate generation.
- The list of officially supported platforms now includes Minikube, which provides an easy way to test the Operator locally on your own machine before deploying it on a cloud.
- Also, Google Kubernetes Engine 1.14 and OpenShift Platform 4.1 are now supported.
Percona XtraDB Cluster is an open source, cost-effective and robust clustering solution for businesses. It integrates Percona Server for MySQL with the Galera replication library to produce a highly-available and scalable MySQL® cluster complete with synchronous multi-master replication, zero data loss and automatic node provisioning using Percona XtraBackup.
Help us improve our software quality by reporting any bugs you encounter using our bug tracking system.