Emergency

Search Results for: convert binary to string in mysql

Why base64-output=DECODE-ROWS does not print row events in MySQL binary logs

Lately I saw many cases when users specified option --base64-output=DECODE-ROWS  to print out a statement representation of row events in MySQL binary logs just to get nothing. Reason for this is obvious: option --base64-output=DECODE-ROWS  does …

Read More
 

The future of MySQL quality assurance: Introducing pquery

Being a QA Engineer, how would you feel if you had access to a framework which can generate 80+ crashes – a mix of hitting developer introduced assertions (situations that should not happen), and serious unforeseen binary …

Read More
 

Creating GEO-enabled applications with MySQL 5.6

In my previous post I’ve showed some new MySQL 5.6 features which can be very helpful when creating geo-enabled applications. In this post I will show how we can obtain open-source GIS data, convert it to …

Read More
 

utf8 data on latin1 tables: converting to utf8 without downtime or double encoding

Here’s a problem some or most of us have encountered. You have a latin1 table defined like below, and your application is storing utf8 data to the column on a latin1 connection. Obviously, double encoding …

Read More
 

MySQL Indexing Best Practices: Webinar Questions Followup

I had a lot of questions on my MySQL Indexing: Best Practices Webinar (both recording and slides are available now) We had lots of questions. I did not have time to answer some and others …

Read More
 

Lost innodb tables, xfs and binary grep

Before I start a story about the data recovery case I worked on yesterday, here’s a quick tip – having a database backup does not mean you can restore from it. Always verify your backup …

Read More
 

Converting Character Sets

The web is going the way of utf8. Drizzle has chosen it as the default character set, most back-ends to websites use it to store text data, and those who are still using latin1 have …

Read More
 

Fixing column encoding mess in MySQL

Just had an interesting issue with an encoding mess on a column containing non-ASCII (Russian) text. The solution was not immediately obvious so I decided it’s worth sharing. The column (actually the whole table) was …

Read More
 

Innodb row size limitation

I recently worked on a customer case where at seemingly random times, inserts would fail with Innodb error 139. This is a rather simple problem, but due to it’s nature, it may only affect you …

Read More
 

Be careful when joining on CONCAT

The other day I had a case with an awful performance of a rather simple join. It was a join on tb1.vid = CONCAT(‘prefix-‘, tb2.id) with tb1.vid – indexed varchar(100) and tb2.id – int(11) column. …

Read More