I am thrilled to announce that Apple co-founder and Silicon Valley icon and philanthropist Steve Wozniak will participate in a moderated Q&A on creativity and innovation April 14 during this year’s Percona Live MySQL Conference and Expo in Santa Clara, California.
In addition to “The Woz,” as Steve is nicknamed, we have a great lineup of esteemed industry luminaries, with a broad range of talks and tutorials along with fun and informative networking events during the four-day conference (April 13-16).
Harrison Fisk of Facebook’s Database Performance Team will deliver a keynote titled “Polyglot Persistence @Facebook” exploring why Facebook has so many different data solutions deployed at scale and how the company decides to deploy a new one. He’ll also talk about how Facebook is able to manage all these solutions and what types of optimizations are possible across all their data systems.
‘MySQL 101’ program announced
I wrote about the new “MySQL 101” program earlier this week. Largely driven by the broad demand for (and scarcity of) MySQL expertise across many industries, Percona Live is adding dual tracks for both developers and system administrators that will provide a 2-day course on MySQL fundamentals.
The two days of practical training will include everything needed to handle day-to-day MySQL DBA tasks. The motto of this new program is, “You send us developers and admins, and we will send you back MySQL DBAs.” You can check out the full schedule for MySQL 101 here.
BoFs sessions enable attendees with interests in the same project or topic to enjoy some quality face time. The BoF sessions will take place Tuesday night, April 14, from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. This year’s topics include:
- “Everything About MySQL Bugs” presented by Seta Smirnova, senior principal technical support engineer, and Valerii Kravchuk, principle support engineer at Percona
- “MySQL Galera Cluster, Percona XtraDB Cluster, and MariaDB Galera Cluster” presented by Jay Janseen, managing consultant at Percona
- “Data Security – Emerging Legal Trends” presented by S. Keith Moulsdale, partner at Whiteford, Taylor & Preston
- “WebScaleSQL Meeting/Hacking” presented by Steaphan Greene, software engineer at WebScaleSQL
Lightning Talks provide an opportunity for attendees to propose, explain, exhort, and rant on any MySQL-related topic for five minutes. Lightning Talks will take place Wednesday night, (April 15) during the MySQL Community Networking Reception, which begins immediately following the breakout sessions. They include:
- “Working From Home – Fun, Facts and Scares” presented by Raghavendra Prabhu, product lead, Percona XtraDB Cluster at Percona
- “The Future of MySQL Quality Assurance: Introducing pquery” presented by Roel Van de Paar, senior QA lead, and Ramesh Sivaraman, junior QA engineer at Percona
One of the most fun and compelling aspects of the Percona Live is the networking, providing the opportunity to make connections that can help enhance a career, facilitate a current project, or inspire new ideas. This year’s conference features the Community Networking Reception in the Expo Hall on Wednesday, April 15, from 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. The event will include the MySQL Community Awards and the Lightning Talks.
Conference Registration Promotions
Advanced pricing discounts are still available but will end on March 8. Register soon to take advantage of the best conference rates available. A Percona Live MySQL Conference & Expo Ticket provides you with access to all OpenStack Live sessions. In addition, in the spirit of the new MySQL 101 track, the first 101 people who sign-up for MySQL 101 using the “101” discount code will get their tickets for a $101 – a $299 savings! Attendees of MySQL 101 will have full access to Percona Live Keynotes and the Expo Hall.
See you next month!