Announcing TokuDB v7: Open Source and More

Every few months, I get the fun job of announcing what’s new in TokuDB®, but this time is special. With Version 7, TokuDB for MySQL and MariaDB is going open source.

The free Community Edition is fully functional and fully performant. It has all the compression you’ve come to expect from TokuDB. It has hot schema changes: no-down-time column insertion, deletion, renaming, etc., as well as index creation. It has clustering secondary keys. We are also announcing an Enterprise Edition (coming soon) with additional benefits, such as a support package and advanced backup and recovery tools.

Making TokuDB open source is a natural next step for Tokutek’s involvement in the MySQL community. So far, Tokutek has been involved in the community in many ways:

TokuDB v7 maintains all our established advantages: fast trickle load, fast bulk load, fast range queries through clustering indexes, no fragmentation, and full MySQL/MariaDB compatibility for ease of installation.

In addition, there are plenty of other performance improvements included in this version. For starters, TokuDB v7 adds support for Direct I/O. Also, you asked for it, you got it: TokuDB v7 has significantly enhanced Engine Status information.

For details on updates to pricing and supported MySQL and MariaDB versions, please see our FAQ.

To learn more about TokuDB:

Comments (29)

• Brian Cavanagh Reply

Wooohoooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the best news I have heard in ages! The new default engine for mysql!

April 22, 2013 at 2:02 pm
  • Directica Reply

Congratulations! Thats the best news ever!

April 22, 2013 at 4:18 pm
  • dorian Reply

what will happen to the mongodb stuff?

April 22, 2013 at 5:09 pm
    • Lawrence Reply

Thanks for the interest. We are looking for MongoDB experts to test our build on real-world workloads and benchmarks. Please email us at contact@tokutek.com if interested in giving it a whirl.

April 22, 2013 at 5:14 pm
  • svar Reply

The world is fractal!!! And you proved it;
    for the community this is a fantastic gift that can lead to a new generation of relational applications on low cost hardware. Thanks

April 22, 2013 at 5:20 pm
  • Ronald Bradford Reply

That’s great news. I am looking forward into delving into some code when I have some free time. Also easier to evaluate with clients as there no barrier to entry in getting the foot in the door.

Well done to the team.

April 23, 2013 at 1:46 am
  • Jingchao Hu Reply

Good news. I’ve downloaded and tested with my own application, the performance is about 1.2 – 2x compared to a vanilla mysql innodb.

Looking forward to the mongodb version.

April 23, 2013 at 3:46 am
  • Wensong Zhang Reply

I just read the section of PATENT CLAIMS.
    “PATENT CLAIMS” means the claims of patents that are owned or
    licensable by Tokutek, both currently or in the future; and that in
    the absence of this license would be infringed by THIS
    IMPLEMENTATION or by using or running THIS IMPLEMENTATION.

Does it mean that I have to apply the patent license from Tokutek if I run this implementation on my servers?

April 23, 2013 at 6:47 am
    • Bradley C. Kuszmaul Reply

I’m not sure what you mean by “apply the patent license”. Can you clarify?

April 23, 2013 at 4:13 pm
      • Wensong Zhang Reply

The patents (such as US Patent No. 8,185,551) are owned by and licensable by Tokutek.

Do I need to ask Tokutek to grant me a license for using the patents if I run TokuDB on my servers?

April 24, 2013 at 10:36 am
        • Bradley C. Kuszmaul Reply

The section that you were reading about patents gives you the permission you need to run the software on your servers.

April 24, 2013 at 12:35 pm
  • Enrico Suarez Reply

Was this ever tested to work with Percona XtraDB Cluster?

April 25, 2013 at 6:15 am