Announcing TokuDB v6.5: Optimized for Flash
We are excited to announce TokuDB® v6.5, the latest version of Tokutek’s flagship storage engine for MySQL and MariaDB.
This version offers optimization for Flash as well as more hot schema change operations for improved agility.
We’ll be posting more details about the new features and performance, so here’s an overview of what’s in store.
- TokuDB v6.5 continues the great Toku-tradition of fast insertions. On flash drives, we show an order-of-magnitude (9x) faster insertion rate than InnoDB. TokuDB’s standard compression works just as well on flash and helps you get the most out of your storage system. And TokuDB reduces wear on solid-state drives by more than an order of magnitude. The full technical details will be subject of a future blog post. In summary though, when TokuDB writes to disk, it updates many rows, whereas InnoDB may write a leaf to disk with a single modified row, in some circumstances. More changes per write means fewer writes, which makes the flash drive wear out much more slowly.
- More Hot Schema Changes
- TokuDB already has hot column addition, deletion and renaming. In this release we add hot column expansion, so you can change the size of the integers in a column or the number of characters in a field. These operations incurs no down time and the changes are immediately available on the table. In this release, we have also extended hot schema changes to partitioned tables.
TokuDB v6.5 maintains all our established advantages: fast trickle load, fast bulk load, fast range queries through clustering indexes, no fragmentation, and full MySQL/MariaDB compatibility for ease of installation. See our benchmark page for details.
To learn more about TokuDB:
- Download a free trial of TokuDB.
- Read the press release here.
- Attend a Webinar overview of TokuDB v6.5.
- Come to our booth #6202 at MySQL Connect Sept. 29 & 30 in San Francisco
- Come to our table October 1 & 2 at Percona Live NYC.
- Catch Tokutek chief architect Bradley Kuszmaul’s presentation “Solving the Challenges of Big Databases with MySQL” at 5:45 pm on Sunday, Sep 30, at MySQL Connect and at 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 2, at Percona Live NYC.
Announcement, Big Data, hot schema changes, iiBench, InnoDB, MySQL, NewSQL, Storage Engine, TokuDB, Tokutek