Percona Server and XtraBackup weekly news, March 19th
Here’s what is new in Percona Server and Percona XtraBackup since last week. We are working on compiling and checking download statistics for both pieces of software. The preliminary numbers are far higher than I thought they would be. Both Percona Server and XtraBackup are becoming amazingly popular. I am aware of deployments running into multiple thousands of instances of Percona Server in some companies.
- Laurynas Biveinis joined the Percona Server project as a developer.
- We continued working on our upcoming Percona Server 5.5 stable release. Vadim has also spent a lot of time benchmarking against MySQL 5.5. Sorry, I can’t reveal how good the numbers are until the benchmarks are fully validated. Watch this blog for Vadim’s announcement.
- We began investigating the effort required to port Percona Server to Windows. We are interested in knowing how many people using MySQL on Windows would be ready to pay for us to support Percona Server on Windows. If you are, you can contact our Sales team to discuss.
- We have changed our Debian/Ubuntu packages to build with readline, not editline. This has been a problem with a lot of Debian/Ubuntu software. This fix will be released in the next version of Percona Server.
- We improved the performance and reliability of using shared memory for the InnoDB buffer pool.
- We updated Percona.TV, our companion site for MySQL videos, screencasts, and webinars. A lot of new Percona-Server-related material is available there now, and very shortly our webinars will also be there, so you won’t have to hassle with Webex or GoToMeeting’s obnoxious system requirements just to watch a recorded webinar.
In XtraBackup news,
- XtraBackup has a new logo, shown below. We stayed with the cat theme to match Percona Server’s logo.
- We’re continuing to work on support for 5.5, and testing and finishing the new features parallel backups, streaming, and compression inside the xtrabackup binary instead of the innobackupex script.
- We moved the target milestone from version 1.6 to 1.7 for supporting XtraBackup on Windows. If you would like it sooner, again we can make it happen with your financial support. Please contact Sales to discuss.
Percona XtraBackup Logo