What did we want Interns to do
About one month ago we posted a call for interns to work with us on various MySQL Performance related things.
We got good number of replies and a lot of people wondered what tasks exactly we could offer as surely this sort of involvement should be fun and should teach you something.
Really we did not have a list – Cool opportunities and
ideas constantly pop up plus we expect you to bring your ideas on what
you would be interested to work on and we will see if there is an
interest for us to mentor and sponsor your work.
Generally the tasks we see Interns working on are either Open Source
projects or research which would be published so besides minor
financial compensation there is publicity and education components.
Here are few things we have in mind:
- MySQL Benchmarks we have a lot of things we wanted to take a look but never found a time. These are hardware, operation systems, file systems, mysql storage engines, settings, MySQL versions, etc
- MySQL Patches – there are a lot of little cool things you can do to improve performance monitoring in MySQL
- Innodb Performance Experiments – There are a lot of hard coded values which Heikki picked on his laptop 10 years ago, not all of them are still optimal now. We’d like to see if we can pick better values for some workloads.
- Web Application Database Benchmark – we would like to get few benchmarks
which present typical web LAMP application workloads
- Full Text Search Benchmark – we would like to get
comparison for MySQL build in full text search, Sphinx, Lucene, PostgreSQL Searches.
Categories:Events and Announcements