EmergencyEMERGENCY? Get 24/7 Help Now!

InnoDB in self-compiled MySQL 5.1

Posted on:

By:

Share Button

If you like to compile MySQL from sources by yourself, for different needs, like debugging, testing etc, you probably can face this issue.

What I usually do to fast compile and test is

and then, for example, load the dump of InnoDB from previous version:

I bet you will not notice all your tables now is MyISAM. Why?

By default InnoDB is not compiled as storage engines.

Perhaps it is related to new pluginable architecture and all engines are equal to be not included by default.

It is not too hard to fix, you just need to use –with-plugins=innodb (or max, or max-no-ndb, which includes set of more engines)

But what I would want to see is BIG Warning or even Error that InnoDB table can’t be created instead of calm converting to MyISAM

Share Button

Vadim Tkachenko

Vadim leads Percona's development group, which produces the Percona Server, Percona Server for MongoDB, Percona XtraDB Cluster and Percona XtraBackup. He is an expert in solid-state storage, and has helped many hardware and software providers succeed in the MySQL market.

Tags:

, ,

Categories:
Insight for DBAs

Comments
  • Thanks Phil! You saved my bacon with the innobase tip.

• You can with sql_mode = NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION. It’s just that it’s not the default.

create table test (id int) engine=blackhole;
    ERROR 1289 (HY000): The ‘BLACKHOLE’ feature is disabled; you need MySQL built with ‘BLACKHOLE’ to have it working

• Phil Hildebrand

I messed with this forever, then finally looked at the config options, and sure enough, the ./configure expects innobase:

from: http://www.innodb.com/support/tips

On MySQL 5.1, ./configure expects a different parameter:

$ ./configure –with-plugins=innobase

• I have a very big innodb database on linux. I am now, doubtful, if its log/archives are causing some slow-ness in the database’s performances. Since a cron script takes the full-database backup everyday, I now want to remove these archivals. How can I do this?

• Normally, I backup the database, and restore it again, to flush off the old innodb logs – by this way, all my indices are recreated, and the overall system increases.

I do this once a month – talking around an hour of database performance management job.

• David McMurray

After reading the out of date documentation and trying –with-innodb, –with-plugin-innodb, etc. I trawled the configure script and found –with-plugins= and innobase / innodb_plugin. I assumed innodb_plugin, but I have no idea whether innobase is required, so I included that for good measure.

I agree it needs to be a big warning, especially since I’ve spent 2 days on this so far and gone through several compilations.

Hopefully this is the last.

• Phil, I love you!! Why couldn’t I have found this site 5 hours ago. ./configure –with-plugins=innobase works with 5.1.51

• Shailendra Singh

./configure –with-plugins=innobase it also works on mysql 5.1.40 as well
    Thanks ….

• I tried this:

./configure \
    –with-plugins=innobase \
    –prefix=/home/stephane/programs/install \
    –localstatedir=/home/stephane/programs/mysql/data

on MySql 5.1.61

But I still get

stephane@stephane-ThinkPad-X60:install> mysqladmin variables | grep have_innodb
    | have_innodb | NO

Percona’s widely read Percona Data Performance blog highlights our expertise in enterprise-class software, support, consulting and managed services solutions for both MySQL® and MongoDB® across traditional and cloud-based platforms. The decades of experience represented by our consultants is found daily in numerous and relevant blog posts.

Besides specific database help, the blog also provides notices on upcoming events and webinars.

Want to get weekly updates listing the latest blog posts? Subscribe to our blog now! Submit your email address below.

No, thank you. Please do not ask me again.