InnoDB in self-compiled MySQL 5.1

If you like to compile MySQL from sources by yourself, for different needs, like debugging, testing etc, you probably can face this issue.

What I usually do to fast compile and test is

and then, for example, load the dump of InnoDB from previous version:

I bet you will not notice all your tables now is MyISAM. Why?

By default InnoDB is not compiled as storage engines.

Perhaps it is related to new pluginable architecture and all engines are equal to be not included by default.

It is not too hard to fix, you just need to use –with-plugins=innodb (or max, or max-no-ndb, which includes set of more engines)

But what I would want to see is BIG Warning or even Error that InnoDB table can’t be created instead of calm converting to MyISAM

Comments (9)

• Ryan

Thanks Phil! You saved my bacon with the innobase tip.

September 13, 2007 at 12:00 am
  • Martin Tsachev

You can with sql_mode = NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION. It’s just that it’s not the default.

create table test (id int) engine=blackhole;
    ERROR 1289 (HY000): The ‘BLACKHOLE’ feature is disabled; you need MySQL built with ‘BLACKHOLE’ to have it working

September 13, 2007 at 6:25 am
  • Phil Hildebrand

I messed with this forever, then finally looked at the config options, and sure enough, the ./configure expects innobase:

from: http://www.innodb.com/support/tips

On MySQL 5.1, ./configure expects a different parameter:

$ ./configure –with-plugins=innobase

October 16, 2007 at 2:43 pm
  • Bimal Poudel

I have a very big innodb database on linux. I am now, doubtful, if its log/archives are causing some slow-ness in the database’s performances. Since a cron script takes the full-database backup everyday, I now want to remove these archivals. How can I do this?

May 23, 2008 at 3:03 am
  • Bimal

Normally, I backup the database, and restore it again, to flush off the old innodb logs – by this way, all my indices are recreated, and the overall system increases.

I do this once a month – talking around an hour of database performance management job.

October 29, 2009 at 5:13 am
  • David McMurray

After reading the out of date documentation and trying –with-innodb, –with-plugin-innodb, etc. I trawled the configure script and found –with-plugins= and innobase / innodb_plugin. I assumed innodb_plugin, but I have no idea whether innobase is required, so I included that for good measure.

I agree it needs to be a big warning, especially since I’ve spent 2 days on this so far and gone through several compilations.

Hopefully this is the last.

July 19, 2010 at 12:27 pm
  • Suz

Phil, I love you!! Why couldn’t I have found this site 5 hours ago. ./configure –with-plugins=innobase works with 5.1.51

December 3, 2010 at 7:24 pm

on MySql 5.1.61

But I still get

stephane@stephane-ThinkPad-X60:install> mysqladmin variables | grep have_innodb
    | have_innodb | NO

March 2, 2012 at 9:39 am

Comments are closed.

Use Percona's Technical Forum to ask any follow-up questions on this blog topic.