Systems Engineer - SaaS (remote)
Percona is a leader in providing best-of-breed enterprise-class support, consulting, managed services, training and software for MySQL®, MariaDB®, MongoDB®, PostgreSQL® and other open source databases in on-premises and cloud environments. Our services and software accommodate rapid growth and application development, help companies develop and deploy agile solutions and improve your ability to keep up with customer needs.
Discover what it means to work with some of the smartest people in the industry, and help solve some of the most challenging customer problems. We offer flexible hours, competitive salaries, the ability to work remote and the amazing experience of working with a multinational team of experts.
We’re looking for a full-time Systems Engineer with extensive SaaS experience to join our team and help continue building Percona Monitoring and Management(PMM). While your core responsibility will be for the infrastructure that supports our SaaS component of the PMM platform, you will be a key resource that helps our platform team deliver a wave of new and exciting services to both the community and our subscribers. You should be obsessed with uptime, security and systems performance; the mere thought of carrying out a repeated task manually should cause you to cringe. You will solve many of our most complex problems through a partnership with our Developers and Build Engineers and be committed to both educating and learning from your team.
Location: remote position, we are open to candidates globally, but the engineering team you will be working most closely with is predominantly located in the Central European time zone so you should be available to work within these time zones as required.
What You Will Do
- Identify and uphold Systems Administration best practices around configuration management, security, monitoring, alerting, etc.
- Develop scalable, high-volume, performant infrastructure focused on simplicity and resiliency
- Be responsible for business continuity and HA
- Help develop the architectural requirements and turn architectural requirements into tangible deployments
- Create playbooks to help others share the load of managing the infrastructure and responding to issues
- Create custom automation for repetitive tasks that can be incorporated into broader orchestration
- Maintain a continuous line of communication with engineers and architects
- Identify, leverage, and successfully evangelize opportunities to improve engineering productivity and performance
- Serve on-call rotations for 24x7 coverage of our application
- 4+ years as a System Engineer plus degree in relevant field
- Strong Linux experience
- Extensive experience with on-prem systems as well as public cloud (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Experience designing, building, managing, and documenting complex SaaS infrastructure
- Containerization with Docker and orchestration (Kubernetes, ECS, Openshift, etc.)
- Experience with databases/data stores/caching (MySQL, Postgres, EBS, memcached, redis, etc.)
- Deep knowledge security and encryption techniques for transmitting and storing sensitive data
- Solid team player and experience working across multiple teams / cultures in a remote environment
- Ability to communicate in English (speak, read, write) at an intermediate level or better
What Will Make You Stand Out
- Load balancing systems (ELB, HAproxy, Nginx, etc.)
- Leveraging message bus systems (0MQ, e.g. RabbitMQ, SQS, etc.)
- Configuration management (Puppet, Ansible, etc.)Open source development experience
- Familiarity with Git
- Experience with continuous deployment to cloud / virtualized environments (“DevOps”)
- Fluent English communicator
Location: Remote work from home but the engineering team you will be working most closely with is predominantly located in the Central European time zone.
Remote work from home openings require consistent and strong internet access.
HQ is in Durham, NC USA. Staff members should be available if there is a need for any onsite trainings and/or events at any time.
Note that your legal agreement will be with Percona Staffing LLC, a USA corporation and a subsidiary of Percona LLC.