Sr Director - Server Engineering (Open Source Solutions)
Percona is a respected thought leader in the open source community. We provide services and software for MySQL, MongoDB, PostgreSQL and Maria DB to open source users globally.
Percona is remote-first and globally dispersed; we have 250 people in almost 40 countries. We offer a collaborative, highly-engaged culture where your ideas are welcome and your voice is heard. The growth and development of our staff is a top priority; we provide funding for training, certifications, conferences and more. Discover what it means to work with some of the smartest people in the industry, who also know how to have fun and are always willing to lend a helping hand. We offer flexible hours, the ability to work remotely and the amazing experience of working with a multinational team of experts.
We are looking for a seasoned leader from the Open Source Engineering community to lead a group of globally distributed remote teams responsible for our Server Products. This role will have six direct reports.
Percona is evolving to a more software-centric organization and this is a unique opportunity to significantly impact our transformation. You will work with a true open source engineering group who is living the open source values fully and is one of the best in the business.
What You Will Do
- Remotely manage and develop directors of our various products, including Percona Distributions for MySQL, MongoDB and PostgreSQL as well as our Percona Kubernetes Operators
- Manage the department budget which includes recommending the appropriate headcount needed to achieve the goals for the company
- Be accountable for products quality, security and performance
- Own the teams’ results which requires building on what is working well and taking corrective action when necessary
- Work with development teams, product managers and others to maintain high levels of transparency, efficiency, collaboration and set context with your management team so they are empowered and equipped to make great business and engineering informed decisions
- Keep efficient timelines and keep to committed deadlines
- Develop people through coaching, mentoring, and management support - technical expertise growth as well as leadership growth
- Engage with customers and prospects as required and requested by Product Management, Sales and or Services
- Contribute to Percona’s thought leadership through blogging and conference presentations
- Budget management experience
- Open source software development experience
- Software product background
- 5+ years of experience leading software development teams
- Experience managing an engineering team that has been responsible for multiple products
- B2B market experience is important in regards to understanding the requirements of the Enterprise Market (security, long lifecycle, etc)
- A cross-team facilitator: working with other teams and figuring out how to get things running more smoothly
- High level of organization with a proven ability to prioritize, manage, budget, and deliver on time
- Excellent English communication skills both verbally and written
- Experience in project management with the ability to decompose complicated projects into simple tasks, estimates and manage risks
- Self directed with the ability to operate independently without needing everyday input
- Maturity to build relationships and operate across the organization (not locked to only operate in the vertical chain)
What Will Make You Stand Out
- Experience with code contributions from community members
- Public speaking experience
- Experience working with Kubernetes
This is a remote position and can be located anywhere in the European region.