With more than 3,000 customers worldwide, Percona is the only company that delivers enterprise-class solutions for both MySQL® and MongoDB® across traditional and cloud-based platforms. Percona provides Software, Support, Consulting, and Managed Services to large, well-known global brands such as Cisco Systems, Time Warner Cable, Alcatel-Lucent, Rent the Runway and the BBC, as well as smaller enterprises looking to maximize application performance while streamlining database efficiencies. Well established as thought leaders, Percona experts author content for the Percona Database Performance Blog and the Percona Live Open Source Database Conferences draw attendees and expert technical speakers from around the world.
Discover what it means to work with the smartest people in the industry, solving the most challenging problems our customers can throw at you. We offer flexible hours, competitive salaries and a great experience of working on a multinational team of experts.
MySQL Senior QA Engineer (fulltime, worldwide)
Percona is looking for a flexible and efficient Senior QA Engineer to join it's QA team. You will work from your home office, using online tools and resources to contribute to a high quality QA environment for Percona and it's customers. Some travel is required (meeting & conference). Access to a reliable high-speed internet connection is required. Flexible work hours. Friendly team. Equipment is provided.
Candidates from any timezone (worldwide) will be considered.
* Be a go-to resource for all aspects of security as it connects with Percona products and QA in general
* Evaluate new features based on a QA plan, locating product issues & bugs
* Formulate QA plans for new features (often database related) with assistance from, and for review by, the QA Lead
* Assist with the implementation of various internal QA projects
* Assist clients with implementing various items relating to their QA environment
* Monitor, and analyze/log failures for; automated regression, performance, and various other QA related jobs
* Proficient with most security aspects as they relate to database software, including good security design principles
* Proficient in clustering environments, familiar with Percona XtraDB Cluster or MySQL Galera
* Proficient in transactional workloads, transaction isolation levels, ACID, distributed transaction processing
* In-depth understanding of advanced system and database concepts such as MVCC, Isolation Levels, thread concurrency and transactional consistency
* Proficient with security areas like SSL/TLS, authentication mechanisms, keys/rings/stores etc., hash functions, SELinux/AppArmor, CVE, etc.
* Previous exposure to database-related enterprise-scale QA, or equivalent experience in, for example, a development or senior support role
* Proficient with MySQL, InnoDB, SQL
* Experienced in Linux systems administration, including suitable expertise with security configuration, file systems, hardware, and networking
* Good communicator and fluent in written and spoken English
* Experience with building MySQL and/or other products from source
* Proficiency in at least one virtualization or containerization software like Docker, VirtualBox, OpenVZ, KVM, VMWare
* Proficiency with at least one debugging or core analysis tool like gdb, strace, windbg etc.
* Good Bash shell scripting skills
Desired Skills (in order of priority)
* Proven success working in a distributed environment where e-mail, Slack and voice calls are the only interactions with others on a daily basis
* Tertiary studies degree or certifications relevant to core skills
* Previous experience or proficiency with one or more of these: Jenkins, JIRA, sysbench, software packaging, pquery, MTR
* Supplemental MySQL technologies: XtraDB, XtraBackup, Percona XtraDB Cluster, NDB Cluster, third-party storage engines & appliances, etc.
* Experience with open-source development methodologies & licensing
* Multi-threaded shell scripting skills and/or C/C++ Coding skills
* Knowledge of other RDBMS systems
HQ is in Raleigh, NC. Staff members should be available if there is a need for any onsite trainings and/or events at any time.