PostgreSQL DBA II
This role is remote and we are open to candidates located anywhere in the Americas region.
Percona is a respected thought leader in the open-source community. We provide services and software for MySQL, MongoDB, PostgreSQL and MariaDB to open source users globally.
Percona is remote-first and globally dispersed; we have 250 people in almost 40 countries. We offer a collaborative, highly-engaged culture where your ideas are welcome and your voice is heard. The growth and development of our staff is a top priority; we provide funding for training, certifications, conferences and more.
Discover what it means to work with some of the smartest people in the industry, who also know how to have fun and are always willing to lend a helping hand. We offer flexible hours, the ability to work remotely and the amazing experience of working with a multinational team of experts.
In the Managed Services Department, customers count on us to keep their open source databases running and we are vital to the success of their business. With 24/7 support of world-class DBAs, we are able to deliver the highest quality support to customers around the world. From incidents and outages handling through a variety of projects executions to proactive recommendations for environments’ improvements - These are our objectives that aim at customers’ satisfaction and translates to customers’ business results.
What You Will Do
- Troubleshoot and resolve customer issues of any complexity related to their Postgres environments
- Develop relationships with customers, comprehend and fulfill their needs, and maintain their satisfaction through regular communication and engagement with their environments
- Perform technical work that requires planning and scheduling to ensure the best possible solution is delivered on time
- React on incidents and provide solutions aiming at maintained environments’ improvements
- Work in a fast-paced environment where we are responsible for companies’ most critical systems. Work remotely; there is no central office, and most people work from their homes
- Mentor and guide other more junior DBAs, help the team succeed
- Serve as a point of technical escalation for difficult problems
Your Technical Experience
- 5+ years of experience working with Postgres databases
- Advanced understanding of Linux OS
- Use SSH to connect to remote systems with password & public/private keys
- Deep understanding of systems performance
- Understand automation concept to speed up the work: Ansible
- Advanced knowledge on Postgres internals
- Experience implementing high availability by setting up either streaming replication or logical replication and decoding
- Knows how to optimize queries/schemas
- Knows backup solutions and strategies
- Knows HA solutions and strategies
- Knows proxy usage as it relates to Postgres
Your Non-Technical Experience
- Ability to individually assess customer/environment impact of requested changes
- Ability to review and approve plans written by others
- Ability to do define runbooks that improve efficiency of teams
- Ability to learn quickly if out of depth, knows when to ask for help
- Great at use of mining information from reference materials
- Excellent English skills- written and verbal
- Experience creating in depth technical documents that may need to speak to an cross sectional audience Customer first approach - works well and communicates effectively both internally and with customers
- Collaborative, get it done attitude
- Able to make unilateral decisions in emergencies and under pressure
What Will Make You Stand Out
- Kubernetes expertise
- Knows Percona tools and PMM
- Cloud and DBaaS experience
- Expert level systems and network administration knowledge
- Experience in a managed service provider model
- Flexibility in time zone coverage
- Proven mentorship or leadership skills
Set six-hour shift plus two flex hours each day Monday -Friday
Each team member has an on-call duty during the weekends once a month - 12h on Saturday and 12h on Sunday
Some travel will be required for internal meetings once it is safe to do so. Access to a reliable high-speed internet connection is required.