Do you have a passion for all things open source and the drive to be one of the best DBAs in the world? This is a unique opportunity to work with an elite team that is solving some of the most challenging customer problems. We are remote-first and offer the amazing experience of working with a global team of experts.
In the Managed Services department, customers count on us to keep their MySQL databases running and we are vital to the success of their business. With 24/7 coverage, we are able to deliver the highest quality support to customers around the world. From incident and outage handling through a variety of projects executions to proactive recommendations for environments’ improvements - these are our objectives that aim at customers’ satisfaction and translates to customers’ business results.
What You Will Do
As a Remote DBA, you will troubleshoot and resolve customer issues related to DB systems availability and performance. You will develop relationships with customers, comprehend and fulfill their needs, and maintain their satisfaction through regular communication and engagement with their environments. You will perform technical work that requires planning and scheduling to ensure the best possible solution is delivered on time. You will react on incidents and provide solutions aiming at maintained environments’ improvements.
You will work in a fast paced environment where we are responsible for companies’ most critical systems. Customers count on us to keep their MySQL database running and we are vital to the success of their business. You will work remotely; there is no central office, and most people work from their homes. Some travel will be required for internal meetings. Access to a reliable high-speed internet connection is required.
- Experience administering MySQL server including;
- aspects of installation and configuration.
- basic performance tuning, query optimization & index tuning.
- knowledge of MySQL backup solutions.
- basic knowledge of HA solutions.
- understanding of monitoring requirements.
- Demonstrable experience of administering Linux based systems.
- Ability to use scripting language for automation.
- Ability to troubleshoot methodically, identifying and applying fixes for known errors, and when necessary, capacity to think outside of the box to resolve complex issues.
- Ability to participate in the on-call rotation for operational issue escalation.
- Polite, friendly and professional; this position requires significant customer interaction and teamwork.
- Excellent and strong written and spoken English.
What Will Make You Stand Out
- CS degree or equivalent.
- Proven success working in a distributed environment where e-mail, instant messaging and voice calls are the only interactions with clients, colleagues and managers on a daily basis.
- Experience with technologies like Galera / XtraDB Cluster, HAProxy, ProxySQL, Orchestrator.
- Experience running on Cloud Services such as AWS and RDS or hosting providers like Rackspace.
- Experience with Nagios, Percona Monitoring Plugins, Prometheus, and other monitoring tools.
- Experience of configuration management solutions such as Ansible, Puppet or Chef.
- Experience with tools from the Percona Toolkit suite.
- MySQL DBA, MySQL Professional Certifications.
- Must speak/write fluent English
Working hours depending on the timezone ( in UTC )
Mandatory shift hours (+2 hours extra that may be served before or after the mandatory shift hours):
APAC shift - 12:30 am -6:30am
EMEA shift - 6:30am - 12:30pm
US East shift - 12:30pm - 6:30pm
US West shift - 6:30pm - 12:30am
Each team member has an on-call duty during the weekends - 12h on Saturday and 12h on Sunday once a month.
Percona is a leader in providing best-of-breed enterprise-class support, consulting, managed services, training and software for MySQL®, MariaDB®, MongoDB®, PostgreSQL® and other open source databases in on-premises and cloud environments. Our services and software accommodate rapid growth and application development, help companies develop and deploy agile solutions and improve your ability to keep up with customer needs.