MongoDB Principal DBA
Percona is a leader in providing best-of-breed enterprise-class support, consulting, managed services, training and software for MySQL®, MariaDB®, MongoDB®, PostgreSQL® and other open source databases in on-premises and cloud environments. Our services and software accommodate rapid growth and application development, help companies develop and deploy agile solutions and improve your ability to keep up with customer needs.
Percona open source database expertise helps businesses avoid downtime and outages, meet customer experience expectations, foster operational and developer collaboration and manage enterprise risks through sound database architecture frameworks.
Discover what it means to work with some of the smartest people in the industry, and help solve some of the most challenging customer problems. We offer flexible hours, competitive salaries, the ability to work remote and the amazing experience of working with a multinational team of experts.
The MongoDB Principal DBA is responsible for the high quality technical execution of Percona’s MongoDB services capabilities for the Managed Services department. This role will be primarily responsible for setting the technical direction and dictating the best practices for the Managed Services department as we look to scale our MongoDB offerings.
This is equal parts a technical role and a strategic role, with a primary focus on the technical aspects of MongoDB knowledge while working to help build our Managed Services practice around MongoDB. While technically focused, this role will work closely with the rest of the Managed Service Delivery team, acting as an escalation point for complex MongoDB related tickets, as well as other technical requests. Contribution to Percona’s MongoDB software product direction is also a part of the role, with the Principal DBA enabled to influence and help guide Percona’s product strategy with the Engineering team.
In order to achieve success in this role, the MongoDB Principal DBA works in a collaborative position with stakeholders from the Sales, Marketing, Global Services, Customer Success and Engineering teams to contribute to Percona’s MongoDB Managed Services implementation goals.
As a dynamic and thriving company, this position is unique in that it offers a challenging yet rewarding environment. You will be expected to wear “many hats” as the position looks to positively influence the direction of the company, specifically with regard to direction of our Managed Services offerings, how we deliver said offerings, and how that aligns with organizational and product engineering strategy.
Essential Functions, Duties and Responsibilities
- Helps set the direction for the Managed Services MongoDB offerings, both technically and from a service offering standpoint.
- Acts as a technical escalation point for Managed Services - takes ownership of complex/escalated tickets and owns them through to resolution. Also participates in On Call and shift work for the MongoDB discipline, which will be heavy in the beginning as the practice grows.
- Supports and assists continual improvement of Percona’s quality of service delivery by participating in ticket review/spot checks to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Provides direction and guidance on Percona’s MongoDB software product strategy - recommending product enhancements, changes or new software products as appropriate, both for outwardly facing software as well as internal automation software.
- Creation of technical content for consumption by the community as well as Percona subscribers. Blogs, Whitepapers, KnowledgeBase articles, webinars and conference talks are all media types which may be used.
- Trains and mentors existing and new Managed Services employees on MongoDB principles to sustain and improve the quality of service provided by Managed Services.
- Participates in the New Product Introduction processes to identify, qualify, and prove technical feasibility on features and functionality related to our internal Managed Services software.
- Follow the latest industry developments and stay up-to-date on corporate competitors.
- Assists in interviewing and selecting candidates for MongoDB Managed Services positions as we build our practice.
- Participates in the delivery of proactive tasks to improve the stability, performance, and fault tolerance of customer environments.
- Supporting the Percona field sales team on strategic, MongoDB related opportunities.
- Ability to work well with people and communicate effectively both internally and with customers.
- Ability to communicate information to staff members and customers in a clear and concise manner.
- Positive, helpful and supportive.
- Able to work independently with minimal direction.
- Strong work ethic and entrepreneurial approach.
- Accepts feedback from others.
- Communicates clearly and professionally to convey confidence even when under pressure.
- Enhances organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Fluent written and verbal English language skills.
Minimum Required Qualifications
- 5+ years experience with MongoDB technology, ideally in a customer facing role or 5+ years experience with distributed software administration coupled with Advanced-level MongoDB knowledge.
- Fluent English communication (native-level a bonus), primarily for customer interactions.
- Ability to work remotely in alignment with US time zones.
Skills / Technologies we are interested in
- MongoDB expertise in all areas of implementation: installation, configuration, upgrades, tuning
- Strong skills in replication and sharding
- Production experience, Multiple datacenters, Large datasets
- Linux, FreeBSD
- PHP, Java, Nodejs, Go, Python, Ruby, and/or any client application programming experience used in conjunction with MongoDB
- Other NoSQL - Cassandra, etc
- Networking, system administration, hardware, virtualization, containers, scripting, IO subsystems
- Ability to create and deliver presentations
- One or more of Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Vagrant, Consul, etc would be nice to have but not required
Other Required Qualifications
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal direction
- Demonstrated ability to accept feedback from others
- Communicates clearly and professionally to convey confidence even when under pressure
- Ability to respond to a high level of context switching as we build our MongoDB practice
- Ability to travel up to 10%
- Ability to pass required background check
Location: Remote work from home open to worldwide locations.
Remote work from home openings require consistent and strong internet access.
HQ is in Durham, NC USA. Staff members should be available if there is a need for any onsite trainings and/or events at any time.
Note that your legal agreement will be with Percona Staffing LLC, a USA corporation and a subsidiary of Percona LLC.