Junior Security Engineer
Percona is a leader in providing best-of-breed enterprise-class support, consulting, managed services, training and software for MySQL®, MariaDB®, MongoDB®, PostgreSQL® and other open source databases in on-premises and cloud environments. Our services and software accommodate rapid growth and application development, help companies develop and deploy agile solutions and improve your ability to keep up with customer needs.
Percona open source database expertise helps businesses avoid downtime and outages, meet customer experience expectations, foster operational and developer collaboration and manage enterprise risks through sound database architecture frameworks.
Discover what it means to work with some of the smartest people in the industry, and help solve some of the most challenging customer problems. We offer flexible hours, competitive salaries, the ability to work remote and the amazing experience of working with a multinational team of experts.
You’ll be working in a completely dynamic environment, working with colleagues from all over the world, you’ll need to be able to adapt rapidly and coordinate your efforts with the rest of the team, you’ll be expected to be able to write scripts, and Python knowledge will be a strong advantage as will Ruby.
You’ll be working with NIST, PCI, HIPAA, ISO27001, ITIL, standards, liaising and working with Percona’s compliance team to provide technical guidance where applicable, or escalate as necessary. You’ll also be working within the ITSec team closely with Percona’s IT to deliver projects which help to resolve identified business security needs.
You’ll be able to communicate clearly to both technical and non technical users, communicating the identified issue and the potential impact this may pose to Percona and what solutions can be deployed to mitigate the issue.
Successful candidates will move onto a CTF style technical assessment, which has questions to test knowledge of compliance standards, and deep technical understanding of OSS protocols such as MySQL and MySQL-NA.
Core Job Duties:
- Work with a technology agnostic user base, to provide guidance and respond to enquiries
- Security alert and incident response as applicable
- Participate in forensic analysis and reporting as applicable
- Log reviews and reporting
- Authoring alert criteria where applicable
- Porting of configuration management (Ansible -> Puppet && Puppet -> Ansible)
- Exploring OSS (And commercial products) to assess suitability for proposed solution where applicable.
- Internal auditing, pentesting as directed by the ITSec manager
- Participate in RedTeam & BlueTeam exercises as directed by the ITSec manager
- Identifying potential threats relative to Percona’s infrastructure both technical and physical
- Technical analysis of threats, and security product issues reported by Percona staff
- Assess, coordinate and where applicable remediate known threats to Percona’s infrastructure and/or staff
- Strive to know all you can about a particular topic
- Write technical documentation on the Security controls you have worked upon or participated with
- Author, test and maintain configuration management to provide identified security control requirements
- Able to work with various APIs to derive information, or provide required functionality such as ChatOps or automation
- Work toward industry certification relative to role
- 5+ years successful linux systems administration
- Must be able to develop in Bash, Python, or Golang
- Puppet and/or Ansible configuration management
- Experience with the use of Git, Keybase, PGP, TLS, SSH
- Familiarity with ITIL, ISO, CIS, NIST, HIPAA, PCI standards
- Experience with packet capture and packet analysis
- Containerisation tools such as Docker, Kubernetes, Openshift, LXC, etc.
- Excellent English communication skills both verbally and written (must be able to clearly communication with technical and nontechnical individuals)
- Working knowledge of TCP/IP, UDP, Multicast, UPNP
- Working knowledge for malware analysis on linux, osx and windows platforms
- Working knowledge for security physical assets
- Working knowledge of known threats current and past.
- Experience performing internal audit / penetration tests to PTES or other standards.
- Working knowledge of OWASP, MySQL, MongoDB, Percona-toolkit, Percona-xtrabackup
- Working knowledge of GDPR and privacy by design.
- Working knowledge of IDS/IPS OSS technologies.
Nice to Haves:
- Ruby, Go, Rust, Coffee Script, C, C++, Linux API familiarity
- RA experience a benefit (would need to know the bow-tie methodology)
- Industry certification such as OSCP, CREST, CompTIA security+, CISSP, SANS GIAC an advantage
- Industry tools experience such as Wireshark, Burpsuite, faraday, vuls, openvas, nessus, nmap, masscan an advantage
Location/Time zone: Remote work from home. Any worldwide location with strong and consistent internet connectivity.
HQ is in Raleigh, NC. Staff members should be available if there is a need for any onsite trainings and/or events at any time.
Note that your legal agreement will be with Percona Staffing LLC, a USA corporation and a subsidiary of Percona LLC.