Director of Engineering (PMM Cloud)
Percona is a leader in providing best-of-breed enterprise-class support, consulting, managed services, training and software for MySQL®, MariaDB®, MongoDB®, PostgreSQL® and other open source databases in on-premises and cloud environments. Our services and software accommodate rapid growth and application development, help companies develop and deploy agile solutions and improve your ability to keep up with customer needs.
Percona open source database expertise helps businesses avoid downtime and outages, meet customer experience expectations, foster operational and developer collaboration and manage enterprise risks through sound database architecture frameworks.
Discover what it means to work with some of the smartest people in the industry, and help solve some of the most challenging customer problems. We offer flexible hours, competitive salaries, the ability to work remote and the amazing experience of working with a multinational team of experts.
We’re looking for a Director of Engineering to join our platform team and help continue building Percona Monitoring and Management (PMM) on our newly forming PMM cloud team. PMM is a free and open-source client/server platform for monitoring and managing the performance of SQL/NoSQL based databases and servers or cloud instances.
The Director of Engineering will build and lead the team that will build a cloud layer for PMM that will greatly enhance our ability to deliver additional value and features to our customer without them needing to install as many local updates on our PMM Client/Server products. We’re looking for an experienced manager who can grow our distributed work from home team (staff and contractors). We need someone that has a background in developing efficient processes, selecting the right tools as well as ensuring a high pace of delivery and has a demonstrated track record of working across teams to ensure that vital information is not lost as complex development requirements span multiple teams. The Percona people are our most vital asset, so you should be someone that looks to continually invest in helping them be better every day.
- Remotely build and manage a distributed team of 8-10 developers and testers ranging from experienced to very senior
- Develop people through coaching, mentoring, and management support
- Keep efficient timelines and keep to committed deadlines
- Conduct regular 1:1, goal setting, and feedback conversations with engineers to ensure team health
- Work with other development teams, product managers, product owners, and others to maintain high levels of transparency, efficiency, collaboration and set context with the team so they are empowered and equipped to make great business and engineering informed decisions
- Grow the technical expertise of your teams in performance, scalability, maintainable architecture, and experimentation
- 3+ years of experience leading and managing development teams
- Experience managing an agile engineering team that has been responsible for multiple products in an environment they are either shipped to end users or hosted as single Web/SaaS application (huge plus if you’d lead a team that delivered both)
- B2B market experience is important in regards to understanding the requirements of the Enterprise Market (security, long lifecycle, etc)
- A cross-team facilitator: working with other teams and figuring out how to get things running more smoothly
- Knowledgeable about open source software
- High level of organization with a proven ability to prioritize, manage, budget, and deliver on time
- Excellent English communication skills both verbally and written
- Experience in project management with the ability to decompose complicated projects into simple tasks, estimates and manage risks
- Self directed with the ability to operate independently without needing everyday input
- Maturity to build relationships and operate across the organization (not locked to only operate in the vertical chain)
- Budget management experience preferred
- Open Source Software development experience preferred
- Product company background preferred to show a track record of GA product release
Location: Remote work from home anywhere however a large portion of the broader team is located in Eastern Europe
Remote work from home openings require consistent and strong internet access.
HQ is in Durham, NC USA. Staff members should be available if there is a need for any onsite trainings and/or events at any time.
Note that your legal agreement will be with Percona Staffing LLC, a USA corporation and a subsidiary of Percona LLC.