DevOps Engineer - Open Source Solutions
Percona is a respected thought leader in the open source community. We provide services and software for MySQL, MongoDB, PostgreSQL and MariaDB to open source users globally.
Percona is remote-first and globally dispersed; we have 250 people in almost 40 countries. We offer a collaborative, highly-engaged culture where your ideas are welcome and your voice is heard. The growth and development of our staff is a top priority; we provide funding for training, certifications, conferences and more.
Discover what it means to work with some of the smartest people in the industry, who also know how to have fun and are always willing to lend a helping hand. We offer flexible hours, the ability to work remotely and the amazing experience of working with a multinational team of experts.
What You Will Do
The Percona Managed Services group is responsible for the operational and technical delivery of the services included in the Percona Managed Services products/services line. We are focused on a high quality delivery of Percona services that result in high levels of customer satisfaction and retention and low operational costs through the use of automation and tooling that drive efficiencies.
Percona’s Managed Services Platform team is responsible for the performance and availability of the Managed Services Platform and our customers’ most critical systems. As a member of the Managed Services Platform team, you will serve as part of our team’s escalation path, providing our engineers and customers with friendly, helpful and responsive service via chat, e-mail and phone. You will additionally help build new tools and runbooks to solve more complex issues and assist in long standing and recurring incident remediation. You will serve as a subject matter expert focusing on proactive audits, optimizations, and building out knowledge base articles.
You will also be expected to contribute to determining the overall direction of the Managed Services platform, including helping to build out processes for the Platform team, assess our most critical ongoing development needs to prioritize development work and roadmaps, and maintain and improve CI/CD and overall development processes and procedures.
- Experience with clustering methodologies (MySQL, MongoDB, and/or PostgreSQL), platform/service design and tool development
- Knowledge in at least one of MongoDB, MySQL, and/or PostgreSQL, including configuration, performance tuning, backup solutions for multiple engines, HA solutions, and detailed understanding of various monitoring tools and requirements
- Demonstrable experience of administering Linux based systems
- Familiarity with at least one of the following: Python, Bash, Golang, and/or JS, with a passion for automation
- Experience of configuration management solutions such as Ansible, Puppet or Chef
- Solid understanding of networking, application design, and systems ideologies
- Experience designing full monitoring solutions like nagios, AlertManager, job queues, and/or micro service architectures
- Ability to troubleshoot methodically, identifying and applying fixes for known errors, and when necessary, capacity to think outside of the box to resolve complex issues
- Ability to take measure and calm an escalated situation to get back to the matter at hand, or “Control the Chaos”
- Previous experience debugging performance issues with load balancer, firewalls and storage appliances
- API understanding of Cloud service like AWS, Cloud Files, S3, Azure and others
- Proven track record as a mentor and teacher to more junior roles
- Polite, friendly and professional; this position requires significant internal collaboration and teamwork
- Advanced to expert level written and spoken English a must
What Will Make You Stand Out
- CS degree or equivalent
- Proven success working in a distributed environment where e-mail, instant messaging and voice calls are the only interactions with clients, colleagues and managers on a daily basis
- Experience with tools from the Percona Toolkit suite
- MySQL DBA, MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB Professional Certifications
- Certification(s) on cloud provider(s), including AWS, GCP, or Azure
- Red Hat Certified Engineer
- Proficient to expert in Python, Bash, Golang, and JS
- Understanding of C++ and willingness to work with engineers on patches and debugging issues
At Percona we place a high value on our culture of high performance and continuous improvement. This is especially true in Managed Services, as customers leverage our expertise on a daily basis, and therefore we must continually look to meet those high expectations while working to improve everything we do. As a key member of a team within Managed Services that impacts all aspects of delivery through our Platform, this position is entrusted with not only maintaining this culture, but working to push us to that next level every day, every week, every year. It is therefore imperative that this position is capable of working with a very high performing team, earning their trust, and leading them in a way that takes most advantage of this high level of talent.
You will work remotely; there is no central office, and most people work from their homes. Access to a reliable high-speed internet connection is required.
This position can work remotely from anywhere but working hours will align to the Asia Pacific timezone. There will occasionally be the need to travel to company events, conferences, etc