Database Engineer (MongoDB)
Percona is an industry leader in providing elite services, training and software for MySQL®, MariaDB®, MongoDB®, PostgreSQL® and other open source databases in on-premises and cloud environments. Our services and software accommodate rapid growth and application development, help companies develop and deploy agile solutions and improve your ability to keep up with customer needs.
The Percona Support Team…
Percona Support is a global, elite team of engineers who love getting to the bottom of weird and interesting database behavior. We understand our customers’ business needs and the nuances of their technical environments. This allows us to help our customers see the big picture and identify opportunities to improve their overall database infrastructures.
What you’ll be doing…
You’ll be teaming with some of the most well known database experts in the industry who are even better teammates, friends and mentors. You’ll have the opportunity to develop your own skills and become more powerful than you can possibly imagine…. You will be able to explore not only the database universe, but also Linux (and its various flavors), AWS, Azure, Kubernetes, Docker and if the adventure is not enough, explore the database source codes and who knows, even suggesting bug fixes!
This is not a boring, entry-level role where you’ll just be triaging the boring and monotonous.
Your main responsibility will be helping our customers’ DBA teams when they need expert assistance. You’ll do that by gathering relevant data and investigating issues to provide a detailed analysis of your findings in a digestible format by email, instant message or voice. For more serious and production impacting issues, you’ll perform screen sharing sessions to help them quickly navigate and resolve issues.
When you’re not fixing things, you’ll be authoring new blog posts on interesting topics for our open-source community to digest, answering questions on our forum, creating new articles in our customer facing knowledge base for more frequently seen issues, and hosting webinars amongst other things like participating in conferences and meetups promoting Percona to the open source community.
This is a remote role, so you can be located anywhere in the world. All you need is a decent, stable internet connection.
What does it take to be a Percona superhero?
- Excellent knowledge of both RDBMS's (MySQL or Postgres) and MongoDB, including:
- All aspects of configuration and best practices
- Schema design, performance tuning, query optimization, & index tuning
- Backup solutions (Physical and Logical).Replica set (elections, read/write concerns, arbiters)
- Sharding (choosing a good shard key, balancer, moving chunks, zoning shard with pre-split chunks, etc)
- Engine selection and usage
- Detailed understanding of monitoring requirements
- Demonstrable experience of administering Linux based systems
- Hands on experience of MySQL (minimum 2+ years)
- Knowledge about virtualized environments such as VMWare, Docker and/or Kubernetes
- Knowledge about cloud providers (AWS, Google Cloud, Digital Ocean and/or Azure)
- Ability to troubleshoot methodically, identifying and applying fixes for known errors, and when necessary, capacity to think outside of the box to resolve complex issues
- Enthused to expand your skill set with new technologies as the industry continues to evolve
- Availability to travel for the occasional team meeting, conference and customer visit as safety permits
- Experience working with customers in English (write, reading, listening)
- Completed MongoDB University courses
It's cool if you also have experience with:
- Percona Backup for MongoDB
- Experience with MongoDB Atlas
- Postgres DBA troubleshooting (basic level or higher)
- Percona Monitoring & Management (PMM) and other monitoring tools
- Configuration management solutions such as Ansible, Puppet or Chef
- Percona Toolkit suite
- Writing Python and golang is preferred
- Reading C/C++ code
- MySQL and/or MongoDB certificates
Location: Remote, work from home position anywhere. 5 day work week including weekend
Participation with the on-call team schedule. You will need to be able to travel to company events, conferences, etc. as safety permits.
Your legal agreement will be with Percona Staffing LLC, a USA corporation and a subsidiary of Percona LLC.