With more than 3,000 customers worldwide, Percona is the only company that delivers enterprise-class solutions for both MySQL® and MongoDB® across traditional and cloud-based platforms. Percona provides Software, Support, Consulting, and Managed Services to large, well-known global brands such as Cisco Systems, Time Warner Cable, Alcatel-Lucent, Rent the Runway and the BBC, as well as smaller enterprises looking to maximize application performance while streamlining database efficiencies. Well established as thought leaders, Percona experts author content for the Percona Database Performance Blog and the Percona Live Open Source Database Conferences draw attendees and expert technical speakers from around the world.
Discover what it means to work with the smartest people in the industry, solving the most challenging problems our customers can throw at you. We offer flexible hours, competitive salaries and a great experience of working on a multinational team of experts.
Percona is looking for Sherlock Holmes to join our support team. As one of our expert code detectives you will be helping us analyze, verify, and debug customer and community low level problems. You will use your master skills to troubleshoot and analyze stacktraces, core dumps, and performance regressions and save the day for customers. If you love solving mysteries and spending time tracing allusive crashes and performance issues, apply to this opening!
The role involves working with our Jira bug database to reproduce reported bugs, submitted by subscribed customers or via the community. In some cases, you may need to interact with the customer to obtain all the information you need to successfully reproduce the bug.
Required technical skills:
- Good knowledge of Percona or MySQL Servers.
- Focus points:
- How MySQL Server Parts relate to each other
- Ability to work with Documentation in order to identify what is correct designed behavior.
- Basic knowledge of Linux and build tools.
- You should be able to:
- Install Percona and MySQL servers on any supported Linux version using all supported methods.
- Build Percona and MySQL servers with custom options.
- Work on remote machine, edit files on remote machine.
- Run mysqld under valgrind and gdb.
- Inspect running mysqld using OS-level tools: top, ps, perf, strace, etc.
- Experience with software testing.
- There is not a requirement for a particular tool, but knowledge of MySQL Test Framework and popular load testing tools (SysBench, mysqlslap, YCSB) is preferred.
- You may prefer to test manually, but you should be able to run tests written by others.
- Knowledge of one or few programming languages, used together with MySQL: C, C++, Java, PHP, Python, Go, Perl.
It will add to your CV if you:
- Know Percona or MySQL Server source code.
- Have experience working with customers at a technical level.
- Used to work with a debugger (gdb, lldb, others), especially by analyzing core files.
- Have experience with valgrind or any other memory inspection tool.
- Know TokuDB or MyRocks.
- Have experience with any bug trackers.
- You reported bugs.
- You verified bugs.
- Strong written English.
- Self motivated and equally enjoys being a part of a collaborative team.
- Remote work from home from any global location with consistent strong internet access.
HQ is in Raleigh, NC. Staff members should be available if there is a need for any onsite trainings and/or events at any time.