Percona XtraBackup is the world's only open-source, free MySQL hot backup software that performs non-blocking backups for InnoDB and XtraDB databases. With Percona XtraBackup, you can achieve the following benefits:
- Backups that complete quickly and reliably
- Uninterrupted transaction processing during backups
- Savings on disk space and network bandwidth
- Automatic backup verification
- Higher uptime due to faster restore time
XtraBackup makes MySQL hot backups for all versions of Percona Server, MySQL, MariaDB, and Drizzle. It performs streaming, compressed, and incremental MySQL backups.
Percona's enterprise-grade commercial MySQL Support contracts include support for XtraBackup. We recommend support for critical production deployments.
MySQL Backup Tool Feature Comparison
|Feature||Percona XtraBackup||MySQL Enterprise Backup|
(InnoDB Hot Backup)
|Price||Free||$5000 per server|
|Point-in-time recovery support|
|OS buffer optimizations 3|
|Export individual tables|
|Restore tables to a different server|
|Analyze data & index files|
|Familiar command-line behavior 4|
-  MyISAM backups require a table lock.
-  XtraBackup performs throttling based on the number of IO operations per second. MySQL Enterprise Backup supports a configurable sleep time between operations.
-  XtraBackup tunes the operating system buffers to avoid swapping. See the documentation.
-  XtraBackup is linked against the MySQL client libraries, so it behaves the same as standard MySQL command-line programs. MySQL Enterprise Backup has its own command-line and configuration-file behaviors.
What are the features of Percona XtraBackup?
Here is a short list of XtraBackup features. See the documentation for more.
- Create hot InnoDB backups without pausing your database
- Make incremental backups of MySQL
- Stream compressed MySQL backups to another server
- Move tables between MySQL servers online
- Create new MySQL replication slaves easily
- Backup MySQL without adding load to the server